Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rush to put in roads
Actually, what's being done now isn't what would have been done if they had followed the usual process. The emergency roads probably aren't going to be up to standard, most likely. They aren't anticipated to be used for very long before they get eaten by lava, either. So why would the County have spent billions (most likely some crazy amount around there) to create a road in an area known for volcanic hazards? Apparently, the Feds wouldn't chip in since it wasn't considered a good road location and the County taxpayers couldn't have afforded it if it had been built by the standard procedures.

Now I do have issues with the County for not keeping the cane haul roads when sugar left. Those roads were built to standard in many areas and in good condition yet the County sold them off and let them fall into disrepair. They should have at least kept the ones that paralleled the Belt Highway. But, that's already gone and it wouldn't have helped Puna since those roads were along the Hamakua coast.

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales."
Kurt Wilson

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson
Correct me if I am wrong, and I am not referring to anyone specifically, but it seems like a lot of people want to be "off-grid" to whatever degree, just as long as the grid can show up and save their bacon as soon as the need arises.
quote:
Originally posted by Lee M-S

I don't think it's just "the government" that was the problem. There has always been huge opposition to every route by the people who live near it.

I'm glad that "the government" is making roads now, instead of waiting any longer.

"The best time to plant a tree is twenty years ago. The second best time is now." --Chinese Proverb
(That was the cryptoquote in the paper the other day. Works.)

><(((*< ~~~~ ><(("< ~~~~ ><('< ~~~~ >(>

Ono - So Fast - So Tasty!
Ono - So Fast - So Tasty!
Since you quoted me, I'll respond. I like being on grid. I'd love to have smooth paved roads, home mail delivery, fast internet, well-planned access routes, and quick response to 911. I could get those in Hilo, but I like it here better, and can live with the trade-offs.

I think the road should have been built decades ago. But better now than never, no use crying over spilled milk, why bother pointing fingers, just build the damn road already.

><(((*< ~~~~ ><(("< ~~~~ ><('< ~~~~ >(>
HPP, due to it's location, has always been a large part of the traffic problem on Hwy 130. Just logical. A small number of HPP residents, no majority by any means, has been opposed to playing any part in a solution. For over twenty years every opportunity to put forth a reasoned PMAR has been squandered. So now, in this emergency, whatever is expedient is what happens.

Without this lava flow another route to Hilo is still needed.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Rob, the right of way through HPP is one thing.. comes in but all traffic then has to go up the HPP main streets. That is because the shipman property is not to be tread on for any reason. If the right of way went through HPP and then the shipman property to Hilo or back up to 130 further down, I couldn't care less. As I've always understood (I could be wrong in my thinking here) its been Shipman that has fought it the most. It would be nice to have a connection to HB or points south with out having to go up to 130 and back down Kahakai to see friends there. This is just my take on the whole thing. I'm sure there are a lot of HPP people don't want any of the changes to their kingdom! And yes... I do live in HPP LOL

Shipman needs to back off too. As I said, what is happening now is what is merely expedient. PMAR is still needed.

Punaweb moderator
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Tucker

Shipman needs to back off too. As I said, what is happening now is what is merely expedient. PMAR is still needed.

Agreed whole heatedly Rob.

From the HPPOA website, quoting Warren Lee, Head of County Public Works:

"This is an emergency access road only, and not a Puna Makai Alternate Route."
Yeah, we know that... but thanks. But otherwise it is for the short term a Puna Makai Alternate Route no matter what Warren Lee says. Precedents are being set.

If Hwy 130 should be cut between Shower Dr. and the Transfer Station I can pretty well guess what would happen.

Punaweb moderator
I don't recall any of the reasons to improve RR or Beach in the past as alternative routes to included lava flow contingency. The reasons were mainly focused on traffic problems.