Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Washing machine choices
quote:
I am trying to learn to read directions and follow "rules"

ROFL ...

I had the over-sudsing with Woolite Gentle, but never with the ALL liquid (which I use because it supposedly fights allergens). I'll look for the HE next time though.

Again, home warranty! Unless you rent, if you buy good appliances on this island you need protection, and it's way cheaper at $350 a year than buying Sears' protection plan for each appliance. In two years, we had to repair four high quality appliances (which were just out of warranty but certainly not old, 2-3 years at most), plus our water heater. Got all of them fixed for service call outlay of less than $150 -- included making our Maytag Neptune functional again.

Seven years ago we paid $50 at a garage sale for a used washing machine - some sort of Costco brand. It lives outside, has a bit of rust on the exterior now but it still works great. Eventually I'm hoping something other than the motor goes out on it so I can use the motor to power a lathe but I think I'll have to wait a long time. Have you tried finding a washer at yard sales?

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson
I'm still using my 26+ Y.O.A. Maytag. It looks like sh**, but works fine. Of course I'm also still using my 23+ Y.O.A 25" Sony trinitron TV. The bit** is, my record player broke.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.

Edited by - oink on 10/09/2007 04:18:27
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
I'll put in an excellent rating for the LG front loaders. We have a set and wanted to stack them (they do stack with an extra kit), but we didn't have the vertical space in our laundry. The washers do spin at a much higher RPM so if it's not leveled properly, or if your subflooring is not firm, you can get a lot of vibration. The dryer is not an issue in this regard. I can attest to the fact that the washer can handle large blankets, bedspreads, and comforters.

If you go with propane, you will need to get the NG to propane adapter. The LG approved technician to whom Home Depot refers you was unfortunately not that available nor responsive. Our contractor was able to figure out how to install the adapter by removing a panel that the LG tech didn't know how to remove!

Our LG front loading washer and dryer have been performing just great for a year.
The reason I like a frontloader is that my clothes last longer, much longer, not being rung around a center post, which pulls on the fabric fibers and the seams.

I spend more money on clothes than on washers, for sure.
I also own a lot of black clothes and everything I own is cotton, rayon, or silk, so while it's better not to dry black, drying on ultra-low preserves the colors and the size.

For years I've been drying all my shrinkables on hangers, which can take two days on this side. Now I have the LG with the ultra-low heat option I am recklessly drying my most delicate stuff.

The Neptune has a low heat and an air fluff, but the low is still hot enough to cause shrinkage, and the air fluff doesn't dry the clothes all the way. This LG is the best, but I feel like I inherited the Mercedes of washer/dryers and am just grateful they were included.

I too have discovered that the LPG conversion of dryers doesn't always go smoothly. I spent $100 trying to convert my old natural gas Maytag that I brought with me, to no avail, and much lost time. I then bought a Kenmore which converted for the then $50 price (which is now $100 or close to).

This house has no gas and I don't really want to muck with adding plumbing, so I'm running electric. I use my dryer a lot and with the LG the bill is not bad. My last house, with the Neptune electric, the dryer really cost us, but we had a vacation rental and thus did way more laundry than normal.

OK, guys, here's the latest. A Sears ad came out in today's Hilo newspaper with an energy star, front loading washer with all the features we want for $150 off list price. We happily go down to Sears expecting to purchase a machine. Friendly salesman tells us, "That's a new model. We don't have it because we need to sell the old models first." He told us he didn't know when they would get them and then showed us a unit more or less the same, but for $125 more than the sale price on the new model. We left. (I should note that the ad was specifically made for the Hawaii market, featuring a lot of aloha clothes and other local stuff.) A friend we ran into in Safeway told us this happens all the time. Should I call the store manager?

Disappointed, but not really surprised,
Jerry

First do a genealogy chart on the floor manager to determine, within a few degrees of separation how many relatives he has on island, whether they provide goods or services, or are neighbors to you or anyone of your friends. Then make your choice from there.

Edited by - glen on 10/11/2007 07:48:04
Jerry,

Remember Sears is now owned by Walmart so sales and service isnt there to help you. They are just after the profit.

We've bought 2 washers from our local Sears - naturally, neither was in stock. In both cases we were able to wait rather than switch to an "available" model. The 1st was slightly better than basic top loaded - has performed well for last 2 years. The second was the HE4 Frontloader (and dryer). These are for the new house and aren't quite installed yet - but we are looking forward to them.

In addition to talking with the manager, who might compose a nicely worded account for the website customer service http://www.sears.com/shc/s/nb_10153_1260...?adCell=A3
Last Memorial Day, I drove to Konaside Lowes, looking to make a couple of specific purchases. One item was listed as available on the website, but noone come find one once I was in the store. When I returned home, I emailed Lowes customer service. I felt it was be a venting exercise at best, but actually I was contacted by Lowes and they sincerely wanted a positive resolution. Bottom line, I got the next item received and at a better price than the original.

BTW, isn't Sears partnered with KMart, not Walmart?

David

Ninole Resident
Ninole Resident
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I think I will call tomorrow and see if they will either give me a rain check or the lower price on the old model. (It seems odd somehow that the new model would be on sale and the old one at full price. What's with that?) The salesman said he had no idea when they would get the advertised model, though, and we need a machine soon, or we will be at the Keaau Laundromat. Oh, well, it could be worse. Glen, you make a good point, but how do you politely ask someone for their pedigree? I think you need some collateral information to look somebody up on ancestors.com. Wink

Cheers,
Jerry