Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big Island Circus Fined $50,000 by DLNR
Besides the fine, the news story mentions that as part of the penalty they (VGS/HVC) have 90 days to remove the illegal structures that are on state land.

---
---
That dog wont hunt Shay. Even with a case of lipstick...
Tomorrow the Hawai'i Tribune Herald is finally covering this story four days after the hearing.

Shay quote: "please consider reading their history.
www.civilbeat.com/2014/03/21597-the-battle-over-sustainable-living/"

Yes Shay I read Graham Ellis's article in the civil beat. I found it very amusing as a hysterical rant from a guilty conscious and a clear example of denial. I also found it libelous, slanderous and not on the point.

Shay, I invite you to read bill 2274.

http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/measure_indiv.aspx?billtype=SB&billnumber=2274&year=2014

SB2274, introduced by Russel Ruderman and written by Graham Ellis and couple of attorneys, was NOT about sustainable living. Bills hinge upon their language and the only thing sustainable about Bill 2274 was the title.

This bill would allow "sustainable" developers to sustainably build stores, roads, restaurants all under the guise of research with one report a year to the planning commission. There wasn't even any required testing of the soil, air, water around the research site and the phrase "geothermal resources" was amended into the same section with no buffer zones considered.

Bill 2274 was just a cover and now the covers have been ripped off revealing that it had nothing to do with sustainability. It had to do with the illegal renting of junglows and harvesting of Ohia from a protected forest on the people's land.

In an analogy just think of Graham Ellis as the emperor in the Emperor's New Clothes and we are the little kid saying "Mommy, that man is naked!" That broke the spell. And now the Emperor can't cover up cause he's hangin out, butt naked.

I am hoping tomorrows HTH will elucidate the truth.
thanks for the link sativa. wow again.
Shay
As if on cue, here's Sativa misrepresenting SB2274.

Summary: I read the bill several times; it only "requires" that County create a sustainability permit process, and explicitly grants County the right to stipulate additional requirements for that process. Permits would be subject to periodic site inspection and review.

The bill might not be perfect, but it would seem preferable to the current "lack of oversight". In any case, we'll never know, because a small handful of individuals have made it their life's work to prevent anything that resembles development or progress.

Perhaps the lava flow will change some opinions; I'm sure "sustainability" will be more attractive than several hours' drive to town.
SB2274 was a pointless piece of legislation that duplicates the existing special permit process. That's one of the reasons it failed.
Who are these 'small handful of individuals' preventing development?
Sheila Bang
These folks wouldn't know sustainability if it jumped up and bit them square in the ass. Buy local is even bs from a sustainability perspective, efficient global re-distribution is a major player in effective sustainability. With only 1.5 acres of usable land per person on this planet, I can see the results of such a stupid local sustainable effort destroying the planet overnight if complimented globally. Just what we don't need is everyone trying to farm and local market, what a mess that would be.
SB2274 goes further than the existing SUP; there is no existing process to waive building code compliance.

The "small handful" are at least three, two of which are named in the HTH article.

http://hawaiitribune-herald.com/news/loc...structures

I also find it "ironic" that USDA granted money to an organization that was already being investigated by DLNR -- why, it's as if the various agencies don't compare notes.
kalakoa...why, it's as if the various agencies don't compare notes.

well blow me down! say it ain't so
Kalakoa quote:"Permits would be subject to periodic site inspection and review."

Kalakoa who? where? That is only IF the county puts it in the ordinance. How do you know that the County was going to put it in the ordinance cause Graham told you so?
Remember Graham Ellis, under the guise of his non/con profit, was charging $500 a month rent for the state land junglows. I wonder if they were reporting their unrelated business interests?