Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Current Feeling on people shopping-dining Pahoa?
Ning's was closed today. Sukothai is gone. Kaleo's not too busy (when I went by 3:30). I think the Bakery is still open & they have great healthy food & baked goods. Black Rock open. Probably best to call first, before drive from Hamakua. Fun to just walk around one more time, lots of people doing the same. Pool was open. Apa'a closed 1/2 mile up from Pahoa Village Rd. = lots of backing up & turning around!
If I understand correctly what I read somewhere (maybe here on PW?)...Ning's is closed until further notice. I recall someone mentioning early November as a possible reopening date but I don't know if it's true.

This morning Pahoa was a pretty happening place. But we went again about the same time as Dory, and had the same observation: not so busy. My guess is things are starting to heat up now? (Bad pun intended.)
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius
A bit off topic, but where are they expecting the lava to cross the highway? Between the Pahoa Post Office rd, and Nanawale Estates, or between Pahoa Post Office road and Kahakai, towards Ainaloa?
Anyone knows?
Thanks!

punalvr
punalvr
Ning's tends to close every year for about a month. They go to Thailand, if I remember correctly.
Kathy; If you get there by 11 or so there's plenty of parking usually at both places. Pele's Kitchen is rumored to be really good too.
quote:
Originally posted by punalvr

A bit off topic, but where are they expecting the lava to cross the highway? Between the Pahoa Post Office rd, and Nanawale Estates, or between Pahoa Post Office road and Kahakai, towards Ainaloa?
Anyone knows?
Thanks!

punalvr

The predicted path is a few hundred feet past the Post Office towards Hilo. Right next to the old house that is beginning to collapse Mauka of the road.
Oh yeah, Pele's Kitchen and the Bakery are two I have been interested in and have not gotten to try. Pele's was the name I couldn't recall.

What about the student cooks' place? Is that over in the Woodland Center?

I'll be passing this info on, so it's not just for me, but I'm wondering if I can't get there by 11, would it be better after lunch time proper? Do these places keep serving through the afternoon?

I am worried about the smoke though. I get asthma if I breath smoke. I'll be packing an inhaler for sure.

So you guys are OK with tourists and don't feel like they should stay away out of respect or to not clog things up?

Kathy
Thanks Leilaniguy, so that means Kahakai BLVd, will remain open all the way to Malama Market? Gas stations and the "mall"? That would be great news!!!
Thank you!

punalvr
punalvr
quote:
Originally posted by punalvr

Thanks Leilaniguy, so that means Kahakai BLVd, will remain open all the way to Malama Market? Gas stations and the "mall"? That would be great news!!!
Thank you!

punalvr

Whoa, not so fast. After the lava crosses Village road, it's predicted to cross the 130 Bypass in apparently just a few days, then will cross Kahakai right at Keonopoko Elementary.
How long I wonder .. before Kahakai is gone, and then how far is it to Railroad?
I don't mind the somewhat off topic, as the point is -- how long will things be semi-normal.

Kathy