Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reported armed home invasion Volcano.
Machine gun is a pretty broad term, it could be any semi-auto rifle.
or handgun..for that matter.
Produced by alaskyn66 ©2014
Who really wants to debate an overheard police scanner? Some drunken fool could call 911 suspecting aliens from space invading the volcano.... Oh wait, that happened.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
If someone called 911 to report an alien invasion of Volcano, or the volcano (either Kilauea or Pu'u O'o), that would be the one call on a police scanner I'd be sorry to miss. Drunk call or not.
(I'd also be willing to join the debate on whether the aliens had phasers or light sabres or other)
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Im sorry, I forgot to wait for the repuatable local paper to force feed me the facts.!
I was concerned as this is not the first reported home invasion here, unless of course all the home invasions around here, which seem to be quite a few at times, all just drunks and prank calls. Again is there a way to substantiate any of these reported home invasions as to get said facts? If not disregard post,put rose colored glasses back on and bury head in sand. I was not spreading rumors I stated it was reported?
Maybe that was missed?
Reported means exactly that- something reported. Doesn't mean report has anything to do with factual basis of events. That the report specifies machine gun already brings into question it's veracity.

life is short. enjoy it
life is short. enjoy it
As a former 911 operator and ambulance dispatcher or 4 years I can tell you for certain that what is reported on the radio and what the police or emergency crew actually deals with when they get to the scene are many times very different. The dispatcher is (at best) talking to someone on the scene and can only report what they are being told. Sometimes, especially in rural areas, they are getting their information 2nd or 3rd hand. Because of protocols they will always upgrade the call to the worst possible scenario.

A funny and true story that illustrates my point: One night we got an emergency call for the ambulance for a woman that stepped in dog ****. Seriously. With any medical emergency, if someone requests an ambulance, an ambulance MUST be sent. That's the law, no matter how silly the reason sounds. So I dispatched an ambulance but could just NOT bring myself to say over the radio the reason. (Yes, lots of people listen to scanners and there was no way I was gonna say dog poop on the air! I sent them a text with the real reason.) Anyway the radio report was an unknown medical crisis. Turns out that when they got there the lady HAD actually stepped in dog ****, but that caused her to be so upset that she started hyperventilating and eventually passed out, fell down and hit her head pretty badly with a good 4" gash. So she really did have a legit medical emergency but if you were just listening over the scanner you never would have known the real story.

Too bad there wasn't any follow up in the media about a "machine gun" but basically if that's what the person reporting said, that's what the dispatchers have to tell the responders. To do anything less would be irresponsible, no matter how strange it sounds.

Our dispatch center had a list in the break room of all the crazy reasons that people call 911. It was pretty ridiculous. I personally took TWO calls for ***** stuck in a zipper. Then there was the exploding BBQ where a big fork got stuck in someone's foot... I could go on... people are freaks!
Can't be a machine gun, they are illegal.
Yep. They are illegal, very hard to acquire and extremely expensive. Hard to imagine our local dummies pulling that off.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
wailani:
Over the years I've learned that anything is possible.
If not probable.
I lived in DC from the early '80s through '92 (the golden age of the crack wars).
There was plenty of gun violence, but I don't recall a single "machine gun" being reported.
There are no "machine guns" in Volcano.
Promise Wink