Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Billy Kenoi gets a what??
From Hawaii News Now:

"Kenoi, who doesn't have a personal credit card, has repaid the county nearly $26,000 in charges dating back to 2009. Most of the money was spent on expenses relating to his official duties but were not on the approval list for his pCard".

Why wouldn't a Mayor, and an Attorney not have a Credit Card?
If I were to look for employment or whatever, one of the first things they look at is my credit.
It does tell a lot about a person's character.
Big spender, then bankruptcy?
I do not know. Strange he does not have a CC...
Just saying..

punalvr
punalvr
in my case ..... the ex called my credit card companies and a had me declared as dead before filling for divorce (very clever dat) makes me wonder if Billy has a better story .....

I did learn that its tough to buy an airplane ticket or rent a car without one ......heaven help us if you wind up in a girly bar, in over your head and all they take is visa....grin

as to legality of said establishment ..... that would be up to the Honolulu city fathers, feds and the bank taking said card drafts I would think.....

its a proven fact that one cant legislate morality .....
"I thought it was OK, and I paid it back" doesn't cut it. This happened repeatedly, amounted to a large sum of money, and was initially covered up by refusal to comply with open records statutes. If our prosecutor Mitch Roth doesn't seriously look into an indictment or filing charges, the State and/or Feds should, and Roth should be voted out.

@punaluvr: I think Billy apologized in HNL because in his world he still thinks he has a chance at higher office, and HNL is where that sort of thing is decided. Sadly, given the backroom deals inherent in Hawaii Democratic party politics, he might still have an outside chance. Also, I agree that the Mayor's lack of a personal credit card is a red flag as far as personal financial responsibility goes. He gets paid a lot, so there must be something in his history to account for that.
I am with you Chunkster.
punalvr
It's been my understanding from the get go when he was first voted into office, that Mayor Billy is as corrupt as it gets...mafia ties, the whole enchilada. Now we have blatant evidence and my guess is this only the tip of the iceberg.

I was quite shocked when he was voted into office, a direct reflection of the population of the Big Island. I had been hoping since the building boom we would now have enough educated and productive residents to vote in competent politicians. Sometimes change is slower than we like, well hopefully there is change coming. His presence in office has been like that of George W. Bush at the White House....disturbing.
I agree that the Mayor's lack of a personal credit card is a red flag as far as personal financial responsibility goes... there must be something in his history to account for that.

His mayoral salary is $132,000, not including the perks we would all have to pay for out of our own pockets. I find it highly unusual for someone with that amount of income to not have a personal credit card.

Every trip he takes is on business?* Every rental car is for business?*

*Self employed taxpayers reading this please note important disclaimer: DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
[quote]Originally posted by Punatic007

I was quite shocked when he was voted into office, a direct reflection of the population of the Big Island. I had been hoping since the building boom we would now have enough educated and productive residents to vote in competent politicians.

Wow. You live in a place where you can't stand the native people, can't stand the locals , but you love transplant malahinis like yourself who weren't born here, didn't go to grade or high school here, and think they know it all. Why are you here? I can tell you will be one of the many that move back home to where you belong.

Born&Raised Hawai'i Island
Born&Raised Hawai'i Island
Southernmost, You should expect to be exposed here to views that are nor your own. If you are not prepared for that I can arrange for your removal from this site.

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
The fact he does not carry a credit card, would lead me to think he had no money.

The fact that some folks have made the allegation he is dirty, would lead me to believe he has lots of resources .... at least one capital one or discover card..... they give those to dead people with no credit rating.

In the U.S. it is not ok to discriminate - except when using a fico (or lack of one) score to base a decision or make an allegation.

All you 620 and below folks - please leave the room now....those of you having better than 800 may stay because you have made good credit decisions ..... bullpucky

go figure
@Southernmost: A lot of locally born and raised folks are disgusted with Kenoi. Your own prejudice is showing when you assume that people who don't like Billy's behavior are anti-local malahini. Point in fact: In both of Kenoi's election victories, he polled very poorly in Puna, which the district where he grew up, the district which would know him best, and the district with one of the highest percentages of Native Hawaiians and "locals." Look it up.