Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Happy Great Pumpkin Asteroid Day
Aloha Opihikao! I hope you and your ohana had a fun and safe Halloween. Now do we officially start the Christmas season? I just put some solar Christmas lights on some of my norfolk pines.
quote:
Originally posted by SBH

Aloha Opihikao! I hope you and your ohana had a fun and safe Halloween. Now do we officially start the Christmas season? I just put some solar Christmas lights on some of my norfolk pines.

Aloha, SBH! Trust all is well (wiping the chocolate off my mouth...[Big Grin]). Oh, absolutely! Mele Kalikimaka! [Smile]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEvGKUXW0iI

Mr. Tom, Sir. Mahalo for the question:

If an asteroid was going to hit the earth, what would have more effect on the outcome? Doubling the mass of the asteroid or doubling its velocity?

Waiting for an answer, Sir. [Smile]

"Waiting for an answer, Sir."

I assume you mean an answer from your punahele! If he needs a clue, suggest to him he looks up "kinetic energy". I hope that will make things click.
Opihikao,

Shoots .. I missed all the fun ... Have him look up driving a golf ball too ...

Belated Halloween music for next year ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8e4kla7Hd0

love,
pog
The Cramps? Boy, that brings up some old memories...

ETA: Asteroids and comets tend not to have backspin, so the golf thing might confuse matters. The kinetic energy of a rotating body becomes complicated as you need to include the moment of inertia. Not something I'd expect a 14-year old to know!
Hope Opihikao has some kind of Parental Control over you dey tube videos ..
Oh and ..

It's not about dimples either ... please do not perpetuate
Kept your youtube link running in the background while replying, so of course it went onto another couple videos. This one definitely brings back memories, and would have been most appropriate last night.

Bauhaus.

https://youtu.be/OKRJfIPiJGY

quote:
Originally posted by pog

Opihikao,

Shoots .. I missed all the fun ... Have him look up driving a golf ball too ...

Belated Halloween music for next year ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8e4kla7Hd0

love,
pog

Aloha, pog! Mahalo for the tip! [Wink] Always a pleasure.

Mr. Tom, Sir, yes waiting for punahele's answer (lol), and mahalo for the hint(s). I'll pass it on...[Smile]

So far, I got, "It depends, Tutu...where 'the thing' hits." I ask, "What?" He says, "If it's in open ocean, or on land makes a difference." Me = [:0][xx(]

Going to give him the "hints" right now! I think he sidestepped me a tad, Sir.

Have a lovely evening all!
Opihikao,

It was a sidestep, but a very intelligent one. He's right in that exactly where an asteroid's collision occurs makes a difference, up to a point that is! But you can tell him to assume it hits land so he can't use that excuse.

I'm going to be busy the next two nights, although may have time to respond on Tuesday night, but after that I'm off to see Pam for a few days, so I'll give the answer now. I would still like to see if he can figure it out for himself though!

Kinetic energy (KE) is the energy a moving mass possesses and the amount of energy that would be released if a collision were to occur. KE is proportional to the product of mass and the square of the velocity. The actual equation is

KE = 0.5mv^2

What this means is if you double the mass of the asteroid, you double the amount of energy released during the impact. However, if you double the velocity, since the KE is proportional to the square of velocity, the energy released is four times greater. Tripling the mass means three times more energy. Tripling the velocity means nine times more energy.

I hope he can work it out for himself, but even if he can't, he should be able to learn things during the process and hopefully surprise his teachers in a year or so!

ETA: Corrected a typo.