Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Volcano Transfer Station Redesign
If it is in fact 'owned' by the County it is as a cooperative agreement.

It (or parts thereof) are apparently maintained by County crews.

Residents of Volcano are either getting better return on their tax dollars, or they figured out a better deal to make with County; in either case, it's (not) surprising that other communities haven't managed this feat.
Community involvement and volunteer work have been key to Cooper Center's success.
it's (not) surprising that other communities haven't managed this feat

Interestingly we (Volcano) kept geothermal out of our woods and lower Puna didn't figure that one out either.
In other news, ...they have started putting a roof over the newly redesigned Volcano transfer station. Will it work to keep us dry? Only time will tell
we (Volcano) kept geothermal out of our woods

Perhaps your community would like to host a telescope? I hear there's one available.
My gripe with the roof is they put the support posts right in the parking area for the trash bins. Why not align them with fence along the trash bins, or between the stalls? I asked the girl working there why they did that, and she said it was the lesser of two evils - convenient parking or staying dry. Lesser of two evils is cool when your ad-libbing or in a pinch, but a multi-million dollar project that has been going on for 6 months with some precedent at other stations, design-wise? That's just pure incompetence and stupidity in my book, and I am leaning towards calling it criminal.
...and I am leaning towards calling it criminal."

Ridiculous.
Agreed!
On a happier note ... Got to swing through the new glenwood transfer station. The re-modeled area is open, and it's looking very nice, although the chutes aren't quite ready. A completely different design than Volcano, and looking much more friendly / functional.
I believe it also blocks off access to the forest reserve behind the transfer station, right? There's a network of trails there which is otherwise impossible to get to due to uluhe and guava.