Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poisoning our Environment?
And to think the mongoose was brought here to hunt cane rats. Rats must be tuff buggahs!

Community begins with Aloha
know your info please.... the rat poison doesnt kill birds, and we have NO endemic or indigenous land mammals besides the hoary bat.
Diphacinone is a pesticide bait used in Hawai‘i to control rodents in endangered species bird habitat specifically because it is not very toxic to birds. A Pueo owl would have to eat over 81 pounds of dead rodents to obtain a lethal dose of diphacinone.

Fear Mongering in Paradise! lol

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
thanks for that, bananahead. I assume a cat would have to eat even more rats than the owl? I was kind of worried about that.

My 2 cats probably kill about 1 mouse or rat a week, but they don't eat very much of it, and leave the rest in the living room for me. They're considerate that way.

><(((*< ... ><(("< ... ><('< ... >o>
From the Trib:

“Personally, I don’t believe they could begin to control with poison and traps on an island this size,” he said. “I think the only way to do it would be gradual genetic modification to the point where they could no longer reproduce.”

Ha, be careful what you wish for!
If it kills feral cats, I'm all for it!
Cash for rats !!! Run it like island wide fishing Tourney.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j3WGXboqT4

Go to 6:56 for a good shot.

aloha,
pog

If Anyone wondering, that 6.48 (@HD) poison trap that comes with a few green chunks and a tiny station for mice will also take down a bunch of rats as well. ... Use one chunk in the station for the mice, break up the rest and place them strategically for the rats ... Chips / chunks will be gone in a night and you will here rats thrashing around in about 3 days.

aloha,
pog
quote:
Originally posted by pog

Cash for rats !!! Run it like island wide fishing Tourney.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j3WGXboqT4

Go to 6:56 for a good shot.

aloha,
pog

Actually, pog, the British are quite big on using might vision devices (and are quite resourceful in what the rig up), and air rifles in their war on rats. Often, they arrange with owners of chicken farms, cattle raisers, etc, to go into barns, near chicken coops, etc at night and shoot the rats, much like in the video. Last year, when I started to get ready to go after these little beasts, I used a small red led flashlight, and one of my air guns, to stop them from going into out coop at night. Air guns are the perfect tools for the job. My favorite is as quiet as can be, accurate and has the power to do the job. And, all shots are totally safe, as I have 2x6 boards at the base of the coop, and thick plywood two feet up, which goes to chicken wire above that. I shot about 12 in a month and a half. Didn't go out every night either, and usually would call it quits after getting one. In my opinion, it's a lot more humane than poison.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
This year was first time we have had ( noticed ) any ... I've hit three so far.

aloha,
pog

Neighbor group in NYC uses terriers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXTiYQzzbB8