Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Puna Fatality - Monday, March 28th
If he didn't have a cell phone he should have gone to a pay phone (if there is one around). There used to be pay phones at Minute Stop. He could have flagged down a passing car.
Don't jump to conclusions.
Did he even realize he hit a person? Maybe he didn't see her and thought he hit a pig or other animal? Maybe he got home and saw the damage, blood? and then went to the police station? We simply do not know the circumstances and should not start applying guilt on him.
This is sad indeed. It does surprise me that it doesn't happen more often. I honestly can't remember a trip to or from town in which there wasn't at least one person walking alongside the hi-way in dark colored clothing, night and day. Last week there were two kids riding skateboards and one kept crossing the solid line into a 55 mph lane! This being Puna, nobody was going that fast but pretty close.
My heart goes out to both the victim and her loved ones as well as the driver. He theoretically has a really long time to have that embedded in his memory.
the strange this is when I reads it, both the girl walking and the driver were going in Pahoa directing... but somehow this guy goes all the way to Hilo Police to report it ??... so he obviously has to have turned around and went past same intersection again AFTER hitting her...... thats kinda a red flag.. ??? but then again why would he report it cause he could have just left??
strange... RIP

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
At least a couple times a year I catch myself thinking about our island in dire need of better lit roads and intersections. Unfortunately this battle was lost several years ago. Hard not to be reminded during every loss of precious life that may have been prevented due to a better lit road.

http://damontucker.com/2010/12/29/big-is...s-round-2/

Intersections like kaloli drive meeting highway 130 should be able to have brighter lights and working cameras, jmo.
quote:
Originally posted by pam jones
I honestly can't remember a trip to or from town in which there wasn't at least one person walking alongside the hi-way in dark colored clothing, night and day.

Can confirm the same. There are always people walking on the side of the road at night, wearing a black shirt and blue jeans. I saw a guy riding his bicycle on Hwy 130, on the yellow lane divider on a black bicycle, black shirt, black pants. It does seem like some people have a death wish. Another one late at night the other day, guy appears to be hitchhiking, jumps out in the middle of the lane waving a plastic bag, swerve into the other lane to go around him, girl in black shirt and jeans walking in the middle of the other lane. It's been granted people in Puna don't have much rational sense, but it seems people are wandering around now like they are on dope...oh, wait. OK then.

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
Haven't heard anything about this accident for a week or more. Today though I did notice several police vehicles parked between orchidland and kaloli drive, extra investigations??? Jmo here, hope i am wrong. Thought this accident was very fishy, now I am thinking the worst kind thoughts.
On my way into hilo (almost daily) I noticed a lot of flowers and balloons ... Once even a surfboard. How sad....... Sigh.....

I too am wondering what's up, would be interesting to know what the conclusion is, but probably still investigating.
quote:
Originally posted by gypsy69

Haven't heard anything about this accident for a week or more. Today though I did notice several police vehicles parked between orchidland and kaloli drive, extra investigations??? Jmo here, hope i am wrong. Thought this accident was very fishy, now I am thinking the worst kind thoughts.

I went by that and there were about 10 police cars blocking off that mauka lane, with some kind of tripod equipment, it wasn't just a camera. Being alongside the road these days, at any time, is dangerous. It probably was an accident but drinking/drugs might have been involved.

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
Reflective tape on clothing and shoes would go a ways in helping with these accidents waiting to happen. When it is dark and raining it is even harder to see people walking on the highway, near impossible.

mella l

Art and Science Our Future

bytheSEA
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA