Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cell service
I just remembered that android Tracfones are verizon and the other types are AT&T or verizon depending on model. The android models aren't $15, more like they start at $49. Though they might be cheaper now.
quote:
Originally posted by Lee M-S

Oddly enough, my Tracfone got no bars inside Walmart the other day, and said "emergency calls only". It worked in there in the past, and I tried it in several places in the store. Lots of other people were using phones in the store, so it isn't a total blackout.

Tracfone and others, contract for the use of towers for their customers. However, most of the bigger cell providers, the owners of the towers, reserve the right to bump or restrict the small contract companies users from access in the event that all of the channels are busy on a tower. They obviously want their own customers to retain best service availability. Generally, that's a couple minute wait to clear.

It is the price to pay for the cheap service. If you don't like it, your solution is to go with a major carrier.
I can always tell when the rentals are all full with 'major carrier' visitors as my 2nd tier budget plan gets bumped to the back of the line. Considering the amount I save over my old contract days with the big guys, it's worth the temporary inconvenience.
We switched from AT&T to Verizon and never looked back.
Has anyone tried Cricket Wireless? I have Verizon now and have had no problems, but they're really expensive! Someone referred me to Cricket and just want to get some opinions.

Aloha!
Aloha!
quote:
Originally posted by hilodiver

Has anyone tried Cricket Wireless? I have Verizon now and have had no problems, but they're really expensive! Someone referred me to Cricket and just want to get some opinions.

Aloha!

"Cricket Wireless is a prepaid wireless service provider in the United States. Cricket Wireless offers voice, text, and data and is a wholly owned subsidiary of AT&T"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricket_Wireless
My Tracfone is ATT. Coverage is almost non existent in HPP.
Mahalo for all the input! I think Verizon will be getting my business. AT&T was crap back there but my phone from mainland was doing okay so I must have been on the Verizon tower. I actually had better reception way back in Eden Roc than I did at my sweetie's place in HPP!

"One day there, madam, is worth one year of common existence," David Douglas
"One day there, madam, is worth one year of common existence," David Douglas