Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OpenD
Magnum PI was a malahini house sitter

No wonder ted has such a poor attitude concerning Puna. He's comparing us to those Hawaii based "reality shows" he watches in the afternoon, Magnum P.I., Dog the Bounty Hunter, & Guardians of the Galaxy. Sure the examples he cites might be Ferrari driving, helicopter flying, van residing malahini's, but they're capable, manly-malahini's who solve every case by the end of the episode. Dog always gets his man, Magnum often gets the girl, and the Star Lord saves his corner of the universe with a rockin' 70's soundtrack. And no stinkin' roundabouts on those shows. How can Puna compete with that?

Oscar Wilde's Last Words: "Either this wallpaper goes, or I do."
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by pahoated

You know, Magnum PI was a malahini house sitter, TC was a struggling malahini tour helicopter owner, and Higgins was the professional malahini English butler, all freeloading on the Hawaiian lifestyle. Then, there is Chris Pratt, "homeless" malahini in a van on Maui, working just enough for beer and weed, in his words, and now he is a Guardian of the Universe. City-data is for malahini kamaaina-wannabes and that can be even more annoying than PW.

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"

So I take it you don't know or know of OpenD?
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Tucker

We have a registered member here named OpenD. The last record of posting here was on 09/15/2014.

I hope the story has a happy result.

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator

Rob, Thank your for your reply. OpenD always spoke will of your efforts on PW.
quote:
Originally posted by leilanidude

A friend had met him once. OpenD didn't live in Volcano, but occasionally visited. My friend mentioned his possible death, wasn't entirely sure but had found an obscure reference to an obit in Texas for a guy with the same name, not long after he had stopped posting on CD forum.

Perhaps we are referring to two different people, because OpenD always referred to Volcano as him home, and not in some manner that made you feel he was distorting the truth. He wrote, once, that Hawaii was his home, he would live the rest of his life there, die there, and be buried there. He might have even referred to Volcano specifically, I don't remember, but he was too fluent in everthing Hawaii and Puna and Volcano, not to be there, IMHO.
He wanted to be from here, but he was living in Austin, TX. He took creative license with his postings.
So you're saying he was full of hoomalimali when he posted statements like:

"I'm in Volcano, I use T-Mobile, and I have a 4 bar signal at my place and 4G data speed. But 100 feet up or down the road it's only a 2 bar signal. In the Village I get 4 bars. At my friend's house makai the village I get 1 bar. That's true of all wireless services. The terrain affects it a lot."

or

"Anyway, Saturday I talked to a neighbor with the Volcano Volunteer Fire Department... local people who assist County firefighters to fight fires in the area... and I mentioned the issue you raised and asked how they handle this. The conversation went something like this...

Quote:
Me - Does your crew use water from catchment tanks when you're fighting a fire?

VVFD - Oh, heck yes. We'll use any water we can find at the location... your tank, a neighbor's tank, we don't care. Why wouldn't we use it?

Me - So you use those hose fittings that some people have on their tank?

VVFD - All the time. You know, we don't have county water anywhere in the local area, so we have to go over to KMC (Kiluea Military Camp, in the National Park) to fill up the tank. We can't just stop in the middle of a fire and run all the way over there for water.

Me - What about using a siphon over the side of a tank that doesn't have that hose connection?

VVFD - Yeah, we'll do that if we have to.

Me - But what about tank liners ? I heard they can get sucked into the intake?

VVFD - No, that's not a problem. There's a guard we put on the end of the hose that prevents that from happening. But you know, it's not that big a deal to add a permanent connector to your tank that we can tie into. And once it's set up, you can make an appointment with us to bring a truck over to your place and we'll check it to make sure everything is OK and that it's easy for us to get to and the truck can get in and out without a problem. Sometimes branches or brush need to be trimmed back and we can point that out.

Me - That's great, thanks. But what about this guy with Pahoa Fire Department saying they don't use water from catchment tanks?

VVFD - I don't know. Sounds like a training issue to me. Maybe they don't know how to?"

...we are everywhere...
...we are everywhere...
I'm using present tense in this post because I'm assuming the best.

Frankly, I always had doubts (dating back years) that OpenD is a full-time BI resident (and who has T-mobile in Volcano?). He would reply to every possible post on city-data, even when it was obvious he was pedantically researching information on the internet for the sake of providing information. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but there were times when it seemed his posts were from research and not experience. And when I posted a rebuttal like (I don't remember exactly, something like, you DON'T have to clean the quartz tube on your catchment UV unit every month) was the only time he was uncharacteristically silent. I called him on it a few times and he reported me to the moderators and a few times my posts were deleted. One time he sent me a private message and told me that I had mis-spelled the word ubiquitous. I hope the guy is okay but I don't miss getting "turned in" for not listing Harry Pritikin as a source for a real estate link I posted. City-Data was his niche. I don't recall any of his PW posts but my guess is that the sharks here would eat him alive and he preferred less "insiders" to deal with. He shared a wealth of knowledge on CD that was clearly first hand, and I could do the same thing in an Alaska forum, but I don't live there anymore.

I feel like a doosh for even posting this and I really do hope the guy is okay, but one time I made a post in CD that corrected a misstatement he made and I got like 7 private messages and I only recall one of them which thanked me and said "CD Hawaii was the OpenD show". Sorry. I'm sorry for even posting this. But maybe he WAS living in Texas.
He used the internet heavily, to gain his "knowledge". He posted heavily in some other forums on CD. He was also am admitted writer. I assume he took creative license and posted some fiction along with truth.
quote:
Originally posted by terracore

I'm using present tense in this post because I'm assuming the best.

Frankly, I always had doubts (dating back years) that OpenD is a full-time BI resident (and who has T-mobile in Volcano?). He would reply to every possible post on city-data, even when it was obvious he was pedantically researching information on the internet for the sake of providing information. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but there were times when it seemed his posts were from research and not experience. And when I posted a rebuttal like (I don't remember exactly, something like, you DON'T have to clean the quartz tube on your catchment UV unit every month) was the only time he was uncharacteristically silent. I called him on it a few times and he reported me to the moderators and a few times my posts were deleted. One time he sent me a private message and told me that I had mis-spelled the word ubiquitous. I hope the guy is okay but I don't miss getting "turned in" for not listing Harry Pritikin as a source for a real estate link I posted. City-Data was his niche. I don't recall any of his PW posts but my guess is that the sharks here would eat him alive and he preferred less "insiders" to deal with. He shared a wealth of knowledge on CD that was clearly first hand, and I could do the same thing in an Alaska forum, but I don't live there anymore.

I feel like a doosh for even posting this and I really do hope the guy is okay, but one time I made a post in CD that corrected a misstatement he made and I got like 7 private messages and I only recall one of them which thanked me and said "CD Hawaii was the OpenD show". Sorry. I'm sorry for even posting this. But maybe he WAS living in Texas.

Thank you for your insights. I agree that he dominated the Hawaii forum, and it seems to have collapsed since he left, although there are a few posters left from the heyday.
quote:
Originally posted by leilanidude

He used the internet heavily, to gain his "knowledge". He posted heavily in some other forums on CD. He was also am admitted writer. I assume he took creative license and posted some fiction along with truth.

He would have to be a masterful research to be so prolific for so long. Assuming this is true, what would have possessed him to carry it off so intently for so long? Seems like it would have been a lot easier to just move to Volcano.