Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Motorist gets 30 days for killing pedestrian

Unfortunately, you are muddying the issue, kalakoa. It's about murder, or manslaughter at the very least. The man was tired THAT is what supposedly caused the accident.
***Still can't figure out how to spell 'car' correctly***
In many countries, hostel's or small rooms are easy and cheap to find/check into for the night. Why do we force people to drive under bad circumstances?

In many countries the mandatory sentences for DUI are so high that no one even considers driving under the influence, if you don't have a designated driver, a place to sleep it off, or alternate transportation home like a cab, you simply do not go out drinking.

I lived in an extremely rural part of Scandinavia for a while, in spite of the long distances between homes and villages and the astounding amount of heavy drinking that went on, the social and legal consequences for DUI were so internalized that no one I knew would ever have considered drinking all night and then driving themselves home, and my drinking buddies would never have let anyone do that.

No one "forced" this guy to drive, he could have slept it off in his truck or on the beach where he'd been drinking until he was sober. He made a choice and he killed one person and injured another because of that choice, too bad he isn't going to pay any real price for that.
Denmark is 7th from the bottom @22 per thousand, compared to the USA 39th from bottom @2.9 per thousand.

Specifically I was thinking of Thailand which looks like a train-wreck anyways at #51, 1.98 per thousand and Australia, #66 at 1.45 per thousand.

ALCOHOL DEATH RATE BY COUNTRY
http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/cause...y-country/
quote:
Originally posted by MattKarma

[quote][i] The man was tired THAT is what supposedly caused the accident.

Not true. The story clearly states he was above the legal limit. He has no way of proving it was sleep deprivation and not alcohol intoxication that caused his inattention to detail.
quote:

Denmark is 7th from the bottom @22 per thousand, compared to the USA 39th from bottom @2.9 per thousand.

Specifically I was thinking of Thailand which looks like a train-wreck anyways at #51, 1.98 per thousand and Australia, #66 at 1.45 per thousand.

ALCOHOL DEATH RATE BY COUNTRY
http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/cause...y-country/

You do know that death from alcohol related causes is a much bigger category than death by drunk driver, right?

I just do not understand how anyone can possibly defend this guy, you are acting like drunk driving is some sort of human right! The guy stayed up all night drinking with his friends at a beach, then while still intoxicated and sleep deprived he CHOSE to start up his truck and drive, killing someone and leaving an injured child on the side of the road after mowing them down.

I don't care what people choose to to drink, inhale, or snort, but if you are impaired from any substance, legal or illegal, or have been up all night, don't get behind the wheel and put everyone else at risk. It is called taking personal responsibility.
I worked with a young man that happened to be an ex-marine. His world turned to crap when, one night he got a DWI in the Seattle area. Then, if that wasn't bad enough, the very next night, he got another DWI in Oregon. Nice enough young man, but dumb as a post, obviously. I can just imagine the time and missed work, etc in dealing with the ramifications of two DWI's in separate states.

We have a judge here that should be flipping burgers, or working as a janitor, or some other honest work.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
One thing that i see left out of all news links is that they dont specify at what time his parents called the police..' just before sunrise' is the only time frame we have... ( when he drove home).. but how long was he home before he fessed up... his bac could have dropped by half before he took a test.

..What would King Kamehameha do..
quote:

Why do we force people to drive under bad circumstances?

Are you being serious or this a bad attempt at sarcasm?!?!?!?!
quote:
Originally posted by Hawaii Bound

quote:

Why do we force people to drive under bad circumstances?

Are you being serious or this a bad attempt at sarcasm?!?!?!?!

This is the statement Mattkarma made that really has me stumped: "Killing the mama's ok. Groping the little girl (with the hands, not the car), on the other hand would merit the death sentance."

I can tell if he is just a loose cannon or trolling us.