Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jabbed a couple holes in the canec tonight
I do get it now
In Alaska the roofers
would call it "bear sh!t"
I'd forgotten about Henry's. It was a staple in the tool shed for decades. We've fixed many a rood with that stuff. Not in the can anymore? Everybody is downsizing for our "convenience" and the prices keep going up.
A person who complains about a leaky roof might benefit from sleeping unsheltered in the rain to gain a renewed appreciation.

Mr. NG , I didn't read any complaints on this thread and you are mistaken in assuming that we need "renewed appreciation". Lots of us here started out "un sheltered in the rain" while we built or improved our homes. Now our concern is in keeping the roof leak free so we don't have to live "unsheltered"" again.
Thanks Kenny,

Been there done that several times and not always by choice.

Mr. NG, you gotta be pretty far off ( and or be irresponsibly unprepared ) to find a place in the world where you are "unsheltered".
If it dries out enough to work with it, the aluminum/foil faced tape with the tar that was mentioned in the needing a new mower thread works well to patch metal roofing.

It is better than the tar/asphalt from a can/tube because it will bridge the area you need to cover. It was also mentioned heating it a little makes a good bond.
http://lukekorkowski.com/canec-hawaii/

"...Canec (pronounced CANE-ick) is a building material that was used in the 1930s to the 1960s on Oahu. It’s a fiberboard that was made out of the remnants from sugar cane processing. Builders used the material for ceilings and interior walls.

While fewer and fewer homes still have canec in them, it’s always good to ask because the kicker here is that canec contains arsenic. If the material is undisturbed and not rotting, no problem.

If it is disturbed or rotting…well…problem. That’s when the arsenic can be released and over time could cause serious health issues. ..."

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
serious health issues. ..."

Physical, or just mental?

- Be pleasant to inefficient workers; give them undeserved promotions. - Work slowly. - Refer all matters to committees for "further study and consideration. - Hold conferences. - Make travel as inconvenient as possible. - Haggle over precise wordings of communications. - Advocate “caution.” Be “reasonable” and avoid haste. (Excerpts from the WWII OSS Simple Sabotage Manual)
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Yes, Myomy, that aluminum foil stuff is good too. We bought a roll one time. It was like gold, not cheap. Not as messy as Henry's either. No black fingers when you're Pau.

Mahalo Bananahead. Now I know what canec is. Too bad about the arsenic.