Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cool Big Island places to explore or just visit.
When we lived in Washington State, L met a mountain biker that rode all the time way off the beaten path. In that state, one can obtain a concealed weapons permit, and this gent carried a .357 magnum revolver on his backwoods trips. One time, he said, he was confronted by a pack of hungry wild dogs. He was on their agenda for their next meal. He saved his butt by shooting one of them, which sent the rest off quickly. Could have been a vert bad ending.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
"cool Big Island places to explore or just visit" rapidly degenerates to "nanny state" whining and dark visions of falling prey to roving packs of man eating wild dogs for failure of being allowed a concealed weapon permit. Welcome to the geezers leisure corner. You can keep your .357 magnums and trigger finger paranoia away from my favorite places! lol
If you have not taken the Puna Geothermal tour, I highly recommend it. Very informative, especially if you live in the area.
quote:
Originally posted by PunaMauka2

"cool Big Island places to explore or just visit" rapidly degenerates to "nanny state" whining and dark visions of falling prey to roving packs of man eating wild dogs for failure of being allowed a concealed weapon permit. Welcome to the geezers leisure corner. You can keep your .357 magnums and trigger finger paranoia away from my favorite places! lol

Nice hyperbole mate. Perhaps read again. Nobody is claiming we need firearms. One poster related a story of someone dealing with dogs that way but there wasn't even an implication it was desirable. For myself, I recommend a stick and possibly some dog treats in FF or ER as you are likely to encounter potentially dangerous dogs eventually. Once you know their 'territory' you can just avoid it. If the dogs aren't too aggressive, you might make friends with some dog treats. If you've spent any time walking these neighborhoods, you'd know what I'm talking about.

Still one of my favourite things to do - walking FF or ER.

Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
dog treats

Highly recommended. Easier than aiming a gun. Because with dog treats, like horseshoes and hand grenades, close counts.

“We’ve got to be as clear-headed about human beings as possible, because we are still each other’s only hope,” James Baldwin to Margaret Mead in the book A Rap On Race
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
We always like the hike out to the cinder cone and pit craters along the Mauna Iki trail starting from Hilina Pali road in HVNP.

The colors and the sheer size of those craters is pretty awesome.

Thanks for all the great info and links everyone.
Splunkers - check out these sites:
http://kazumuracave.com/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/348624448643257/
I've gone on several caving expeditions w/ them.
Also, Shipman (Haena) Beach
Waiale Falls, above Boiling Pots, not many people know about
http://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/hawaii/waiale-falls
Honomolino Bay
The pinnacle for me would be the ski resort.

Forgot to add, the rest, I am exponentially opposed to ... Shame on you bananahead.
I was looking for something else when I ran across this thread.
While it isn't a lava tube, it is particular to B.I.
I drove the Upper Mauna Kea Road a few weeks ago.
It was a completely awe inspiring trip.

I found out about it from this website:
http://www.instanthawaii.com/cgi-bin/hi?...nn00vSlE21

It is a long day's trip. 37+/- miles of 4WD road. When traveled from the observatory side, the 3rd quarter of the road, after the Fissure View location, is the most intense portion of the road, long steep pitches with loose rock surfaces. I'm convinced that without a limited slip differential, giving me at least 3 wheels pulling, I might not have made it up one or two of those climbs.

With the late start, I had to skip a few things I would have liked to take a closer look at, and didn't reach pavement until just after dusk. I was a bit worried that I might have to spend the night up there.
Spent the whole day up there with magnificent views and never met anyone until the hunter's check station just before the end at the pavement.

I will do it again soon, but definitely with an earlier start.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Was a Democrat until gun control became a knee jerk, then a Republican until the crazies took over, back to being a nonpartisan again.
This time, I can no longer participate in the primary.