Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grand Naniloa Hotel Hilo - DoubleTree - News
The Hilton management is really doing a lovely job in renovating the property. The Naniloa has finally been "saved", and the damage done by the previous owner is behind us. Hilo needs another "quality" hotel, as Banyan Drive is being revived.

It is still going to take some time to develop the clientele, and work out the initial kinks of a "new" hotel. My darling nephew is in management there, and really has a handle on what it takes to be a successful hotel in this environment. The future looks brighter for our side of the island with the Naniloa (and it's history) alive and well.

The location is unique (oceanfront, Coconut Island a few steps away, looking at Mauna Kea across Hilo Bay), and the ambiance of the hotel is finally reflecting the significance of the area. When you're in Hilo, check it out, and walk the entire grounds. The "new" feeling of the property is good.

JMO.
For anyone who wants to follow the Banyan dr. Redevelopment evolution ...

http://records.co.hawaii.hi.us/weblink/Browse.aspx?dbid=1&startid=78742

Spoiler alert.. lots of material to read here..
HI_Someday - according to the Hilton/DoubleTree website/s, the hotel is still not in the Doubletree chain, so that's probably the source of the confusion. I'm assuming it's still operating as the old Naniloa until it joins in October or November. It seems they're certain it will be in the chain at the end of the year as they're accepting online reservations from Dec 31st.
bigisland white mountain porter for 10 bucks is bit steep

It's also a 22oz bottle...
TomK - I figured it was something like that. Whatever it's called when we're there I'm sure it will be nice (from the pics I've seen). Can't wait to try ALL the local beer!

Hilton strategy is generally to place one of their lower tier brands near their higher tier "Hilton" brands so that whether you are looking for a cheaper room or a more expensive "luxury" stay you are funneled into their brand via the booking sites. For example you are looking for a $150 Doubletree room but they are sold out at that rate and the only rooms available are $180. The web site points out that the Hilton nearby has rooms for $190. You figure, why not stay at a better hotel for an extra $10/night? Psychologically speaking, you "agreed" to $10/night. But Hilton is getting $40 from you, or $240 for a 6 night stay. Even if you don't fall for the "would you like cheese on that?" tactic, if one hotel has no vacancies the other properties are automatically marketed. (Likewise if the Kona Hilton properties are full, the Hilo options could be displayed, and vice versa). In other words, Hilton has it's foot in the door and if they follow their traditional strategies a higher-end Hilton in Hilo will follow (someday).
"Tho, bigisland white mountain porter for 10 bucks is bit steep"

Sorry, a bit off-topic, but I was in KTA tonight and they had some bottles for sale. I bought one and just tried it.

Not for me. I love porter beers, but this tasted of coffee which I don't drink. Maybe some vanilla as well although the bottle says coconut. It's not for me but coffee + coconut lovers might like it! It's quite smooth and definitely a porter, but the coffee taste is too overpowering for me.
Beer with "flavors" seems to not work more times than it does work out. For me, Fat Tire is a good middle of the road mass produce beer that's easy to find. Localy (to me) the Loomis Basin makes an awesome beer called Alohawk, which is a "Strong Ale" - 8% or 9% ABV. Can't wait to try some of the local brews. Recommendations? Maybe I should start a local beer thread...
TomK have you tried the Maui Brewing coconut porter? JMHO but its worth the 6-pack price for 4-pack coco porter.

PRIMO! On sale at Long's...lol. (Sorry, wine is better [8D], but all y'all Kane (men) like beer.)

Back to topic, the Naniloa is indeed becoming "Grand", and will give Hilo Hawaiian a "run for it's money". Good. Competition is healthy. (So is beer...[Smile]).

Rest well, all.

JMO.