Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yellow flowered Ohia
They are currently finding the ROD out on the Hamakua coast, cutting and propagating the different Ohia trees may soon be a thing of the past. The Yellow variety of Ohia does seem to show a greater resistance to the ROD than the many red varieties.
These Centuries old Ohia in this recent video are the first to succomb to the ROD on the Hamakua coast. The Rod seems to Attack the oldest and tallest Ohia first, it acted this way in the ROD's ground Zero zone of lower Puna between the years of 2007-2013.

http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2016/1...n-hamakua/

P.S. The ROD's next move from the Hamakua district may be to hitch hike to another Island like Maui, especially if it's able to take a similar strangle hold of the Hamakua district as it did in Puna's. jmo
Aloha, as a property owner in Fern Forest with lots of old growth Ohia on my property, the ROD issue concerns me greatly. I often peruse Craigslist for this and that and the other and I STILL see Ohia 'fire wood' for sale. It seems to me transporting fire wood is one way ROD can be/could be spread. The ROD issue seems to be urgent enough where this kind of movement of Ohia products would be prohibited. I'm not naive to the reality of people doing this IN SPITE of the ROD issue, but it seems to me there should be some form of prohibition in place to help prevent the spread of ROD. On this website:

http://cms.ctahr.hawaii.edu/rod/Home.aspx

they mention the following as a means to help prevent the spread of the disease.

Preventing the spread of Rapid Ohia Death will benefit all of us, so PRACTICE THE FIVE! Five things we can all do to prevent spreading Rapid Ohia Death fungus:

1. Don’t move Ohia wood or Ohia parts. If you don’t know where the Ohia material is from, don’t move it.

2. Don’t transport Ohia inter-island. Follow the Hawaii State Department of Agriculture quarantine rule and help to keep ROD from reaching the other islands.

3. Clean tools used for cutting Ohia (especially infected ones) with 70% rubbing alcohol, a proven cleaning measure.

4. Clean gear, including shoes and clothes, before and after entering forests. Brush all soil off of shoes then spray with 70% rubbing alcohol. Wash clothes with hot water and soap.

5. Wash your vehicle with soap if you’ve been off-roading or have picked up mud from driving. Use a pressure washer with soap to clean all soil off of the tires and vehicle undercarriage. By following these simple practices, we can all ensure Ohia for our future!

I guess I'm not understanding why, if this is such a potentially devastating issue, there are not stricter laws/policies in place.

Just some thoughts ~ ~ ~

Aloha ~ ~ ~

Kaihekili

Kaihekili
Kaihekili
quote:
Originally posted by glinda

I wonder if the differentiating factor is the substrate the Ohia are growing in?
Indirectly; the colors are related to the variety, and different varieties grow on different substrates. For example, the first one to grow on new lava flows has dense hairs on the underside of the leaves; after 100-200 years it starts being replaced by a different variety with no hairs (occasionally you can find hybrids with thinner hairs that are easily rubbed off; these are similar to the ones around Kilauea, which I think are a separate variety).

The different varieties can sort of be distinguished by leaf shape and hairiness, but not very strictly, and they hybridize often, so that's why they're all considered one species. Some varieties are only red, others red or yellow, and others have a variety of colors. On the Big Island you usually only see one or two varieties in any given place, but on the older islands (especially Oahu) you can find up to 10 within a small area.
if this is such a potentially devastating issue, there are not stricter laws/policies

Laws and policies would mostly be ignored.

We need to skip ahead to reforestation before there's no watershed.
If anyone wants yellow ohia cuttings for grafting email me at dayna dot robertson with the gmail. I'm going to prune mine soon.

Dayna

www.E-Z-Caps.com
Dayna Robertson
At Home Hawaii
Real Estate Sales and Property Management
RS-85517
Dayna.JustListedInHawaii.com
Dayna.Robertson@gmail.com
here is the breakdown on the Metrosideros species in Hawaii.. per the white Wagner manuals, and the newer Hawaiian Plant Life book by Gustafson etc.

there are 5 separate Metrosideros species described, and a total of 11 species and subspecies described... with well over fifty synonyms from the past.... and the reason why some islands ie Oahu, seem to have more yellow flowers... because they have a fairly common species that is usually Yellow and rarely Red...

1. Metrosideros macropus... only found on Oahu in Koolau Range, most flowers of this species are Yellow, Red is scarce.
2-1. Metrosideros polymorpha dieteri ... only found mid-high elev on Kauai, all color flowers but red most common
2-2. Metrosideros polymorpha glaberrima... leaves ovate and glabrous, only found mid-high elev on all main islands, all color flowers but red most common
2-3. Metrosideros polymorpha incana.... leaves lower surface pubescent, lower elev on all main island except Kauai, all color flowers but red most common
2-4. Metrosideros polymorpha macrophylla... leaves large and glabrous, mid elev on Hawaii Island only, all color flowers but red most common
2-5. Metrosideros polymorpha newellii... shrub or small tree usually growing along waterways/streams, low to mid elev Hawaii Island only, all color flowers but red most common
Metrosideros polymorpha polymorpha... leaves lower surface woolly or sometimes just pubescent, margins rolled... mid to higher elev all main island except Kauai, all color flowers but red most common
3. Metrosideros rugosa... summit of Ko'olau Range Oahu only, red flowers only
4. Metrosideros tremuloides.... weeping leaves, steep slopes on Oahu only, red flowers only
5-1. Metrosideros waialealae fauriei... leaves usually lanceolate, unusually long slender petioles, Molokai and Lanai only, red flowers only
5-2. Metrosideros waialealae waialealae... short wide petioles, mid to high elev Kauai only, red flowers only

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
ps... """(M. polymorphs is a tropic Pacific plant, so in not only from Hawaii)""
this is not true Carey... far from!
all 11 described species/subspecies in Hawaii are 100% endemic, and only found here... the other fifty plus Metrosideros species in the Pacific are different described species...
Metrosideros is found in the Philippines w/1 species, NZ w/12 species, New Caledonia w/21 species, New Guinea w/7 species, dozens of Pacific high volcanic islands w/Hawaii having most w/5 species, etc.

fwiw, again.. there is NO SUCH THING as a White Ohia in Hawaii...

you can google images all you want .. you will never see a picture of a real 'White Ohia'..

only pics I see are of an unrelated plants called 'Haole Ohia' by some, but its just a 'powderpuff tree' w/while flowers

""""It is my understanding that many of the Ohia seen in the Waimea area, especially those striking ones found in the commercial centers, are not native to Hawaii but rather imports from Australia"""

glinda, this is not true! the planted out yellow Ohia along the main streets/sidwalks in the town of Waimea are all native ones, Ive looked at them many times.... same with the ones at MtView School, etc. , plus fyi, there are no native Metrosideros in Australia... they are mostly from New Caledonia, New Zealand, and New Guinea... with some in the Pacific and one in SAfrica and one in the Philippines ...