Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PGV Iceland style
quote:
Originally posted by ironyak

As if things were that simplistic or those were the only choices. You might want to do some reading (such as gypsy69's top link) about Iceland's moves to tighten air quality laws and expand buffer zones around geothermal plants based on studies of negative health and environmental impacts to understand how Iceland's geothermal industry and our's differ.

Or you could continue your false dilemma, strawman trolling, but it's
clear you have spent plenty of effort there already.

Iceland used to use open geothermal systems which simply vented the excess gasses into the air. They are moving to the same types of closed loop systems already in place in Hawaii (PGV).
expand buffer zones around geothermal plants

Too late for buffer zones -- side effect of our "fake zoning" problem.
Originally posted by PaulW
Okay, I relented and read his Saving Iceland link. Those people make the Protestors sound like geniuses.

Is that really all you have to add? I always wonder if trolls understand that belittling others lends neither strength to their argument nor credibility to their persona. I guess not as it doesn't seem to dissuade them...

Leilanidude - and/or they are also using emission containment systems required by new laws based on the review of ongoing scientific studies (in summary they are working continously to address issues).

As has been discussed here repeatedly, if you want successful "Iceland style" geothermal then you need rational legislation and oversight, reliable plant operation without incident, and competitive pricing structures. After 25 years of geothermal here, local government, PGV, and HELCO have not been able to provide any of these so don't hold you're breath (unless you smell something - jk Wink
Belittling others? What, like calling them "troll"? Though it's hardly an insult anymore, it's become shorthand for "anyone who disagrees".

I started to wonder if that Iceland website was a joke. But it sounded perfectly rational to you?

Iceland shows us what the BI could be energy-wise if we didn't have NIMBYs and a noisy anti-science movement.

When every post ends with disparing others, yeah it's trolling. I'd guess we actually agree on many things but why bother to have a discussion with "NIMBY, anti-science, less-than-genius individuals with a twisted mindset"?

Perhaps you want to point out the irrationality in gypsy69's link that invalidates everything said there? Or defend the county's history of geothermal regulation, PGV's record of operation, or HELCO's work to lower rates for geothermal energy? But that's not needed of course as it's the "anti-science crowd" that is responsible for the failure of geothermal's success here, right?

Check out the About Us page on Gypsy's link. If you still don't see it, then never mind.

I'm sure we agree on many things but you want to call people names so good luck to you.

Geothermal would have a great future here if not for the anti-science mindset, the ineffectual government and that crazy electricity deal.
Having a noisy anti-science crowd doesn't help either.

"NIMBY, anti-science, less-than-genius individuals with a twisted mindset"
Who are you quoting, the voices in your head?
Right, why bother to actually read any information (much of which is from published studies) when you can dismiss everything because it comes from "environmentalists." Or was there some other objection you have that isn't an Ad hominum fallacy?

The quotes are yours of course - call a bunch of names, then object when someone points it out. Should we try "I know you are, but what am I" next? Smile

Sorry Rob, I know the adage about not encouraging this, but it seems like this is the new accepted norm?

I'd much rather have a substantive discussion on the merits and drawbacks of local geothermal (yes, again Wink but that may be asking too much these days?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Lagoo...ermal_spa)

This is the site of one of their geothermal power plants.The same minerals and chemicals that are considered to be toxic by the anti-geothermal people here are considered therapeutic there.
Originally posted by Obie

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Lagoo...ermal_spa)

This is the site of one of their geothermal power plants.The same minerals and chemicals that are considered to be toxic by the anti-geothermal people here are considered therapeutic there.

But (once again) that comparison is false, as stated by Blue Lagoon Spa themselves:
http://www.bluelagoon.com/files/research...l-ecol.pdf
"Although geothermal brines are used in several places for energy production, they are usually of much higher temperature and/or salinity and often contain high concentrations of toxic compounds like heavy metals. In those cases where cooling ponds are formed they are usually saturated with salt and are therefore totally different from the Blue Lagoon.

Although many hot springs are saturated with silica. they are much lower in salt and the amount of precipitate formed is much less than in the Blue Lagoon. It therefore appears that this temperature and salinity range. the short retention time, and especially the high silica precipitation, form a unique combination which seems to be found nowhere else."

As we discussed a couple years ago here:
http://punaweb.org/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20324&whichpage=11

Happy Holidays to you Obie! (From one fish in the bowl to another Wink
You can only quote things that have already been said, you know. Though in your case it is a good idea, saves us from struggling through your spelling mistakes.

I've swum in the "Blue Lagoon", what a piece of marketing genius! Let people pay to swim in your (perfectly safe) waste water. This would work great in Hawaii. But for the noisy anti-science crowd.