Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hilo dump "almost" full
now the residents are saying enough is enough and you think they are getting special treatment?

Note that these residents are also lessees, not landowners.

Also amusing: the industrial lands are owned by State, who graciously leases them to County.

Even better: some of the DHHL lands are also zoned industrial, and right next door to ag-zoned land.

In other words: it's all well and good that the residents are upset about their land-use problems, but they really have very little say in the matter. Some of them are even getting property tax exemptions. None of them complained about the huge new public transit baseyard (complete with half-acre garage and bus wash).

Shockwave, I'm focusing on the area in question from the article. DHHL properties are pretty much exempt from the zoning laws, and a lot of the port facilities, etc. were there when DHHL and its predecessors chose those particular residential locations rather than other properties they own farther from town. When I asked one of their community leaders I met at a road meeting how that happened, I was told that people wanted to live closer to town. Yes, they have gotten some less than ideal arrangements in the past, but many of those have been due to their own leadership. At some point, the Hilo dump will close, and that will be one less point of aggravation. Is there no way the composting facility can be made quiet and odor free? Seems like somebody should be looking into that.
people wanted to live closer to town

Then they shouldn't complain that town is closer to them.
I'm quite certain that barging our garbage over to Mexico will be a cost effective move that in no way will be the beginning of a bankrupt COH.
Not to get into the bigger political topic but green waste in my yard in Hawaiian Shores is like a vector for LRFAnts, kind of afraid to get into composting if I'm just growing the ant problem...