Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Sunday Morning Walk In Puna
So the dogs were NOT on the trail you were calling police about,

Thank you for your insightful clarification pog.
Clearly the sign was not meant to apply to dogs 30 feet away in the parking lot built for people who intended to hike on the trail. I'm sure had I been bitten one foot on the "bite" side of the sign rather than one foot on the "no bite" side of the sign I would have just accepted the consequences for my actions.

By the way, if you have a moment, please explain why the state would consider it OK for dogs to bite in the parking lot for the trail, but not on the trail itself? That determination seems somewhat arbitrary.

You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
That determination seems somewhat arbitrary.

What a wonderful motto for State! I wonder how it sounds translated into Hawaiian?
You should have replied, " I am local."
Sorry your morning walk turned out so crappy HOTPE. Some people are just mean and irresponsible. Glad you're not chewed up.
We got a recumbent bike for the lanai because of the loose dogs around here. No more long morning walks....
quote:
Originally posted by leilanidude

That is similar to my thought. I've been here a year and have heard the term 'local,' and thought 'What the heck is that supposed to mean?' (Though I can assume I understand the intended meaning.)

One of the definitions of local is "a local person or resident" (http://www.dictionary.com/browse/local?s=t).

So, yes, HOTPE is a local.
Hotpe, good evening to you.
Sorry about your reality experience this morning. Sounds to me like you should have stayed home this morning and watched Robert De niro's movie, "Dirty Grandpa".

Here are just a few of my observations to your side of the story with the 4 woman and their dogs. I apologize in advance if you don't agree with how I see the situation or encounter as I really don't know exactly "where" you were when the incident happened. My Puna Edumacation sees your Sunday morning incident like this.

1) The 4 ladies were probably pretty smart to have their dogs with them just in case some old creep or young group of guys decided to get "stupid".
2) You should not have brought out your can of mace and threatened their dogs unless one of them did bite or attack you.
3) You probably didn't need to point out the obvious sign regarding the dogs needing to be on leashes after just threatening the ladies dogs with mace.
4) Also, You did not need to threaten the 4 woman any further by saying you would call the police.
5) The police are very busy in Puna these days. You probably did not have to exaggerate your side of the dog experience by telling the police "the dogs would most likely bite someone if an officer did not speak to the woman". The fact is, The dogs did not bite you and you came within 30 feet of them and raised a can of mace upon them.
6) One who carries mace or a gun is more likely to find a way to use it or justify the use afterwards.
7) Had the dog or dogs actually bit or attacked you. Then the police could have made sure those over protective dogs were kept on leashes in the near future. Instead though, The woman will probably just continue to let their dogs roam free in that area and chalk this incident up as a close encounter with a real creep or jerk from the mainland. jmo's

HOTPE, Tomorrow is a new day and we are all blessed to live here in Puna.
"were they local"

Call the chief and lodge a complaint. The question is irrelevant and inappropriate.

Threatening to have their pitbull attack you is akin to brandishing a weapon. That's a class C felony in most places (brandishing a weapon is, not pretending an inbred pitbull knows how to attack on command).

Next time (hopefully there won't be a next time) call the humane society after calling the police. They are actually the ones responsible for enforcing the animal control codes. I'm surprised the dispatcher didn't start out the conversation by passing the buck like that.
Gypsy wrote:

"1) The 4 ladies were probably pretty smart to have their dogs with them just in case some old creep or young group of guys decided to get "stupid".
2) You should not have brought out your can of mace and threatened their dogs unless one of them did bite or attack you.
3) You probably didn't need to point out the obvious sign regarding the dogs needing to be on leashes after just threatening the ladies dogs with mace.
4) Also, You did not need to threaten the 4 woman any further by saying you would call the police.
5) The police are very busy in Puna these days. You probably did not have to exaggerate your side of the dog experience by telling the police "the dogs would most likely bite someone if an officer did not speak to the woman". The fact is, The dogs did not bite you and you came within 30 feet of them and raised a can of mace upon them.
6) One who carries mace or a gun is more likely to find a way to use it or justify the use afterwards.
7) Had the dog or dogs actually bit or attacked you. Then the police could have made sure those over protective dogs were kept on leashes in the near future. Instead though, The woman will probably just continue to let their dogs roam free in that area and chalk this incident up as a close encounter with a real creep or jerk from the mainland.
"

Wow. Just wow. I'm speechless.
gypsy,
If you were out fishing with your kids and snarling, barking dogs started circling within a few feet of them, would you wait to protect your children "unless one of them (the dogs) did bite or attack?" That's what you suggested I should have done.

Also, if the dogs were for the protection of the women, wouldn't dogs on a leash offer just as much of a deterrent to a "creep or jerk" as dogs off the leash?

But you're probably right about mentioning the sign. The woman doing most of the cursing probably thought I was trying to insult her, since by the degree of intelligence she displayed it's not entirely clear she could read.

You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by leilanidude

Cannot use the local card unless you're some shade of brown. JMO