Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you love about living on the Big Island?
It's been said that the best thing about Hawaii is the weather; and the worst thing about Hawaii is the weather. So depends on how well you do in humidity.

What I like: light traffic (most of the time); easy to get into restaurants w/o waiting (most of the time); no lines at the movies (most of the time); nice people; when walking or driving, waving to and from people you pass along the way; nice neighbors (fingers crossed; house up the street just sold); and I like that as soon as you're super hot, it'll rain, and as soon as you're sick of the rain, the sun will come out ... most of the time.
Oh, and I love our little Hilo airport with a living room feel downstairs.
quote:
Originally posted by glinda

That the Republican party is almost nonexistent here!

With the friends and neighbors I hang around with you could easily say "politics is nonexistent here"!
Sounds like you and your husband are weighing the pluses with the minuses, which is good. It really depends on what part of the mainland you're from and what your personal tastes are. Really the best advice for newcomers is to not commit for at least a year and realize there are going to be ups and downs. Some (many) people get so homesick for the mainland that they bail out after about a year. You see all their stuff at garage sales. If you're from a rural setting, this may not be much of a shock; if you're from city, the culture shock can be severe. Remember, living in Hawaii is not the same as visiting Hawaii. Knowing all this beforehand can make things easier and maybe spare you some impulsive decision, whether before or after moving.

Another interesting twist on things is that I've know A LOT of people who move here with the intention of only staying a set amount of time, like five to ten years. Their ultimate plan is to move back to the mainland. Not that I think there's anything wrong with this, if your life and finances allow it, it's just not something I expected.
For me, its living in AG land, growing food, catching water from the sky... living life. I'm not a beach person, I've lived here over 5 years and gone to the beach one time.

People are friendly. Weather is amazing. Jobs are scarce.

Dayna

www.E-Z-Caps.com
Dayna Robertson
At Home Hawaii
Real Estate Sales and Property Management
RS-85517
Dayna.JustListedInHawaii.com
Dayna.Robertson@gmail.com
That the Republican party is almost nonexistent here!
---

One of the negatives and that is where most complaints originate from.
Base that upon the high taxes, fees, bureaucracy...
Pineapples, Mangos, Papaya, Candy Apple Banana, Fresh farm grown tomatoes, star fruit, limes, lemmons, Avocado, Fresh veggies like eggplant, green bean, cucumbers, etc..etc...

The water is pure and clean along with the air.

The beach, the palm trees, the green, 3 acre lots for 20K... Still affordable, private and anything grows.

Not sure I agree about the Republican thing. We have come across more Republicans here in 8 yrs we've been here than in 26 yrs we were in Calif. Go figure. During the general election, I saw ONE Hillary yard sign, no bumper stickers, and a plethora of Trump signs and stickers, plus the group who camped out in front of Walgreen's. Still shocked. And don't forget it wasn't long ago that Hawaii had a Republican governor. Make no assumptions about this things. Just sayin'.
Seeing the steam cloud from lava entering the ocean at a distance and thereby feeling the primal energy of living on a volcanic island. Albizia trees so tall and large they defy the senses. What sounds like a freight train approaching when heavy trade showers are blowing in. The power of the Pacific ocean. Being greeted by otherworldly scenes while snorkeling.
Good points, glinda. But since you mentioned entering the ocean, if we had a few more Republicans we could loosen some environmental regs so we could build some new swimming sites on Puna's rough shores. Australia has built dozens of “rock pools” along its coast. Some are built in such a natural way it is hard to discern whether the pool is man-made or a gift from nature.

https://www.google.com/search?q=australia's+rock+pools&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwix0-ODo6bUAhVSImMKHZJxB38QsAQITw&biw=1152&bih=588

These projects, wildly popular in Australia, are not rocket science. And because they are essentially just large holes built inland with a channel to the ocean, they are far less environmentally damaging than intruding into the ocean with say a breakwater. (Of course some environmentalists will contest my viewpoint.)

Our Ahalanui Pond is an example. (Interesting story I heard on this: The property was once owned by one of East Hawaii's power brokers. He illegally dug out the pool in his backyard some decades ago. The entire job, it is said, just took a few weeks. Whatever the exact story, now it's a park. Great deal.) Do state officials think they could ever duplicate such a horribly complex project elsewhere?

(Lengthy Corps of Engineer approval is required for shoreline projects--a point made by our shoreline modification critics. Yet eastern U.S. states regularly get COE approval for a variety of jetty and beach restoration projects. The real obstacle to shoreline projects in Hawaii is not the feds; it's permitting on the state level and opposition by environmentalists. (Yes, the homes of several aama crabs would be destroyed in building such a pool.)

Anyone wish to guess how crowded Ahalanui, Pohoiki boat ramp and the Kapoho tide poods will be in several decades as our population rises?