Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best way to donate for the Harvey storm?
quote:
Originally posted by Mimosa

We have a grand daughter there .
They are fine.
She says do NOT send money no matter what.
Houston is sinking from ground water depletion and is built on purpose to accommodate this type of flooding.
She says mostly the slums - welfare ghettos high crime section 8 druggies getting the brunt of this flooding.
She says do NOT send money - send used clothing if you must donate anything through salvation army or goodwill.
Texas is an extremely wealthy state and can handle their own disasters.
FEMA is helping - your tax dollars so again do NOT send money .
Mrs.Mimosa

Huh? I have family, high income earners in fancy houses, whose entire neighborhoods were wiped out. Many of those people needed help too, but you've come up with a weird way to justify ignoring everyone there.

There are many volunteers and non-profits that are assisting with rescues and temporary relocations. FEMA is there of course, but they have their own programs and agenda separate from other organizations.

NYT's suggestions: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/28/us/do...ml?mcubz=3 and they also recommend using https://www.charitynavigator.org/ to research organizations before giving.

Houston is not "built" for this nor will flood water become "ground water". Since 1986 70% of their wetlands were paved over which usually would help absorb influxes like this. But this level of rain fall has never been recorded in the Contential US before, so saying it is normal and everything is fine is a little odd.
quote:
Originally posted by Mimosa

We have a grand daughter there .
They are fine.
She says do NOT send money no matter what.
Houston is sinking from ground water depletion and is built on purpose to accommodate this type of flooding.
She says mostly the slums - welfare ghettos high crime section 8 druggies getting the brunt of this flooding.
She says do NOT send money - send used clothing if you must donate anything through salvation army or goodwill.
Texas is an extremely wealthy state and can handle their own disasters.
FEMA is helping - your tax dollars so again do NOT send money .
Mrs.Mimosa

Stop lying. You're not a 91 year old woman who has family over all of Hawai'i and also just so happens to have a random unnamed granddaughter in Texas.

Houston is not built to accommodate this type of flooding, and for you to say that is quite ignorant and gross.

I wish you would stop saying such vile, gross, inhumane, hateful things, as well.

"It's mostly the ghetto areas with high crime drug addicts, so it's fine."

No, lots of normal innocent people are getting hurt too. Meanwhile you keep saying "she says". "She" doesn't exist, and we all know it, you won't even make up a name. It's quite disgusting how you use a fake granddaughter as a mouthpiece for your inhumanity. You know how I know you're lying? No one who actually lives in Texas is going to say what you've said. You are the polar opposite of aloha.
Aloha Smile
The company I work for is matching donations -- if we give to the Red Cross. I share others' discomfort with that particular charity and selected another.

Anyone following the news can see entire neighborhoods of large houses with water half-way or more to the eaves. My friends have lost their home, previously valued in the very high six digits. They will no doubt come out all right, staying with friends, very gainfully employed, probably well-insured, plenty of resources. That doesn't mean it's not a terrible ordeal for them. People who have achieved things in life feel pain of loss and displacement the same as those with a more modest life. Those who had less to begin with can immediately benefit from our contributions. I choose to make a contribution and I hope you will also.
The company I work for is matching donations -- if we give to the Red Cross. I share others' discomfort with that particular charity and selected another.
-----
Ours too. They gave a million and will match employee donations up to another million and have a separate employee relief fund to directly help our employees in the area.

I agree with not liking the Red Cross. I tend to think way too much of the donations goes towards staff and salaries and more fundraising. They also turn around and sell the blood they asked you to donate for free...
The link I posted above can help you select a charity. For example, Red Cross has 90.1% of every dollar go to its programs, and only 3.8% to administration and 5.9% to fund raising.

https://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=3277

They also provide a list of charities focused on Harvey relief:

https://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=content.view&cpid=5239#at_pco=smlwn-1.0&at_si=59a85d001750b57d&at_ab=per-2&at_pos=0&at_tot=1

On their page they highlight:
If you're looking for a local charity to support in the wake of Hurricane Harvey please consider Houston SPCA, Houston Humane Society, Houston Food Bank, Food Bank of Corpus Christi, or San Antonio Humane Society. These highly-rated organizations are located in the most-affected areas and are providing support to individuals and animals.
quote:
Originally posted by Eric1600

The link I posted above can help you select a charity. For example, Red Cross has 90.1% of every dollar go to its programs, and only 3.8% to administration and 5.9% to fund raising.

Might be more complicated...

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2...-to-harvey

Cheers,
Kirt
quote:
Originally posted by glinda

The best way to help... demand that our political representatives deal realistically with climate change.. i.e. disband the Republican party. Otherwise this is going to happen more and more frequently and on a larger and larger scale.

Sorry.. lots of sympathy for those effected.. but come on.. it's Texas. Just look at those they have elected to represent them!

Edited to Add.. they brought this on themselves. Besides the bigger picture of climate change which Republicans as a whole deny, the local situation in Houston with regards to unregulated growth, and the depletion of their aquifer in order to accommodate it, has resulted in a subsidence of up to ten feet of the city, which went a long way towards creating the flood planes that are currently being inundated.

Read, Groundwater Depletion, by the USGS...

https://water.usgs.gov/edu/gwdepletion.html

Again.. I have a lot of sympathy for the little guys, but in the big picture they brought this on themselves. And, unless there's a real change in the people's attitude it's only going to get much worse. My opinion... If you want to help, destroy the Republican party.

How calloused of you. All I wanted was some help with a donation, not a political diatribe on "climate change".
Puna: Our roosters crow first
Might be more complicated...
red-cross-exec-doesn-t-know-what-portion-of-donations-will-go-directly-to-harvey

Good point knieft.
National organizations don't necessarily use all of the money donated during a major disaster for that specific disaster. The local organizations will keep the money in the community they serve.

The Donner Party really wasn't that great of a party, was it?
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by EightFingers

How calloused of you. All I wanted was some help with a donation, not a political diatribe on "climate change".

Yeah well, wake up and smell the coffee.. Kona kine preferably.. shop locally! But for real, wake up dude! I will take every opportunity to remind people of how EVIL the Republicans are. And you should too.

Seriously, they are the ones that are callous. They are the ones that have done more to create the problems being faced in Texas than anyone. And, to see their illustrious leaders who tried to deny funding for other victims (hurricane Sandy anyone) asking for help now is pathetic.

And as Mrs.Mimosa has pointed out, they got plenty of money!

Well I'm tired of your suckerizations! Like the democrats are cool. Give me a break...they are all full of it!
Slow Walker
quote:
Originally posted by Slow Walker

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by EightFingers

Yeah well, wake up and smell the coffee.. Kona kine preferably.. shop locally! But for real, wake up dude! I will take every opportunity to remind people of how EVIL the Republicans are. And you should too.

Seriously, they are the ones that are callous. They are the ones that have done more to create the problems being faced in Texas than anyone. And, to see their illustrious leaders who tried to deny funding for other victims (hurricane Sandy anyone) asking for help now is pathetic.

And as Mrs.Mimosa has pointed out, they got plenty of money!

Well I'm tired of your suckerizations! Like the democrats are cool. Give me a break...they are all full of it!

I forgot to put down that I donated to Salvation Army.

https://give.salvationarmyusa.org/site/Donation2?df_id=27651&mfc_pref=T&27651.donation=form1

https://www.give.org/charity-reviews/nat...ia-va-1221
Slow Walker