Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electrician & Plumber
I second Odie.
For our small (~600 sq. ft.) cottage, we used Drainpipe for plumbing (10/10) and BIE for electric (solid work, seemed expensive from a mainland perspective, but was good Island price and Gilbert is a good guy). I would use either again. Only down side was BIE put our work off a bit when some commercial work came up at the Airport (I'm sure they paid premium and it's a chance you take I guess). They did free up some electricians and probably had to pay them overtime to get our job done in a timely manner, so no complaints from my end. The work was top notch from both contractors and Drainpipe was the best sub contractor I've ever worked with anywhere.

Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
Mike, Is BIE Big Island Electric? They are on Kona side - seems it would be an expensive trek to do the work on our side (?). Thanks for the recommendations.
It seems like all plumbers are pretty expensive. For a while at least there was a real shortage, which no doubt contributed, but it seems that a couple of new people have popped up lately. I used SMART Plumbing for an emergency repair when Drainpipe couldn't come out, and they were good. The only other guy I could find at the time I was doing my remodel quoted me twice as much as Drainpipe and said it would be a really difficult job (again - it wasn't, it was a pretty simple rerouting of the pipes that the Drainpipe guys did in a day and a half).
quote:
Originally posted by maud gonne

Mike, Is BIE Big Island Electric? They are on Kona side - seems it would be an expensive trek to do the work on our side (?). Thanks for the recommendations.

I might have that name wrong, but I thought that's what it was. Checking their web site nobody looks familiar, so I'll have to check my archives to find it I think.

Edit: checking my emails, it is BIES (Big Island Electrical Service) out of Keaau, so very close but very different.

Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
Another question that exposes my utter cluelessness vis a vis building a new house: I finally have my building permit. Do I need to get additional separate permits for electrical & plumbing?
Yes. The subcontractors usually take care of those. At least, that was my experience three years ago.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
We are still in process of completing our "owner build" home. Next inspection is the final. Would I do this again? No.
Danny Roberts from Puna Plumbing knows his stuff. He did a quality job for us but it was not without frustration. There's a long process from the rough plumbing to having water running in a kitchen sink and all the cost has to be paid up front.
Russel Cruz built our shell. I will use him again for the garage "to be".
Hirayama Brothers were our electricians. I would have to say they were the easiest of all to work with. Very professional.
Argus walked our plans through the building department and pulled the building permits. Puna plumbing and Hirayama Brothers pulled for us as well.
Right now I am not happy at all with my drywall person. It's all a long long process.
"...Right now I am not happy at all with my drywall person. It's all a long long process ..."

Me either, I had to do a lot of fixes.

I do my own drywall work now.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
He got fired today.