Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Email to all 18,000 UofH Students & Faculty
Do you want to live in a world where every country has nuclear weapons? I don't. It should be limited as much as possible,
especially in countries like NK.
This is an island surrounded by water. Big water. Ocean water...
"Do any Punawebbers have two weeks worth of food in stock?"

I can't speak for Punawebers, but if Iselle was any indication I would doubt most anybody is prepared for two weeks of anything. Iselle was a storm that we knew was coming a long time in advance. If people can't "prep" under such a scenario, I can't imagine how they would fare with only minutes (or no) advanced warning. A lot of people in Puna live EBT to EBT cycle.

For those of you considering stockpiling food, it doesn't have to be fancy. A lot of people go the freeze dried food route, but that can get expensive. The Chef Boyardee products were used as Army rations during WWII. While unpleasant to eat, each can of ravioli has well rounded amounts (in an emergency) of protein (beef), carbs (pasta), and vegetables (tomato sauce) and are sufficient nutrition for sheltering in place for 2 weeks. The expiration dates on most canned items are fictional- so long as the can hasn't rusted or been breached they are considered safe to eat for decades, though after time they will begin tasting more like the can than the original food. You can get a can on sale at Longs for a dollar. The normal price at Walmart (I think) is about $1.30.

If you are sheltering in place (aka, stuck in an interior hallway of your home for 2 weeks) you won't be burning many calories and won't need much food. But you'll still need a lot of water.
Keep it Hawaii please.

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
I've seen the email from UH. Mainly, it links to this:
http://go.hawaii.edu/jZN
I guess cachment water would be contaminated, so I am wondering how using hot water heater, or 50 galllon drums of filtered water under a house would do by continually cycling the cold water through the tank(s) as I need it, and in an event be able to shut off a valve and solely draw from the tank?

Community begins with Aloha
I guess cachment water would be contaminated...
--------
IF this did happen, disconnect all your catchment pipes coming from the roof to avoid contaminated rain. If you have a solid cover, you should be fine with what is in the tank.
So, has civil defense worked with pharmacies and groceries to stockpile KI tablets, or are we all gonna get thyroid cancer from exposure anyway?
Assuming (and admittedly this is an enormous assumption) that a North Korean missile would target Oahu, and that the missile would have the capability to fly thousands of miles and stay on course over the entire distance, we on Big Island shouldn't be in the path of any fallout. If that's the case potassium tablets wouldn't be necessary, would they? Here's a post from an earlier thread about the projected path of fallout from a blast on Oahu:

If Honolulu were to get hit with a North Korean size bomb the fallout would travel northeast over Oahu, then out over open water missing all of the other islands in the chain. Big Island would be unaffected, well to the south and east.

Try it yourself:
https://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/

“Facts fall from the poetic observer as ripe seeds.” -Henry Thoreau
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

we on Big Island shouldn't be in the path of any fallout. If that's the case potassium tablets wouldn't be necessary, would they? ][/i]

Potassium Iodide supplements are always helpful in mitigating the effects of fallout, but are only marginally effective and not essential. They minimize the absorption of I-131, I-133 and I-135 into the thyroid gland by flooding your bloodstream with non-radioactive iodine. While iodine isotopes are common fission products, they are hardly the only ones, and iodine supplements offer no protection against the rest of the bad-nasties.

So, short answer: no.