Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mayor Kim trying to ban vacation rentals.
quote:
Originally posted by leilanidude

1. He also explained how the Ohana Unit option for homeowners is too strict, and they want to make them more accessible for residents to rent out.
----------
Please ask the mayor to explain that to Leilani Estates where the CCR's expressly prohibit ohanas, apartments, etc. Nothing except single-family...

My understanding is that Leilani Estates is a "Planned Community Association" and as such they have the authority to make all the rules they want as long as those rules don't violate State or Federal laws. You agreed to succumb to that authority when you bought your property. Ironically, most of the folks who complain about the "sub-standard" subdivisions are wishing they had what you have. And I say be careful what you wish for.

If the law changes, LE will have the option of changing their bylaws, but no obligation to do so.
the NUMBER ONE thing harry could do to increase home rentals to residents is allow landlords to remove tenants who don't pay or cause problems... period. ( No court, no sheriff, turn off the utilities and remove their belongings and then lock them out) I would never rent anything i owned to anyone here. if you haven't been burned yet you probably haven't rented anything out yet...
quote:
Originally posted by My 2 cents

quote:
Originally posted by leilanidude

1. He also explained how the Ohana Unit option for homeowners is too strict, and they want to make them more accessible for residents to rent out.
----------
Please ask the mayor to explain that to Leilani Estates where the CCR's expressly prohibit ohanas, apartments, etc. Nothing except single-family...

My understanding is that Leilani Estates is a "Planned Community Association" and as such they have the authority to make all the rules they want as long as those rules don't violate State or Federal laws. You agreed to succumb to that authority when you bought your property. Ironically, most of the folks who complain about the "sub-standard" subdivisions are wishing they had what you have. And I say be careful what you wish for.

If the law changes, LE will have the option of changing their bylaws, but no obligation to do so.

I understand what it is - just saying that Leilani needs to get with the times. Their are probably 100+ "illegal" ohana rentals already in Leilani, all on the "quiet side". Too bad that Leilani is now trying to enforce that CCR provision by using drones...
http://www.westhawaiitoday.com/news/stat...e-tax-deal

McCartney said lawmakers were informed that Ige's administration would attempt an administrative solution when the last legislative session closed without a tax collection bill.

"This is a big issue. It's a public policy issue," he said. "This is not meant to circumvent the (counties) or the Legislature."

"This whole thing sounds a lot like "They're building a CostCo in Puna" thread."

A costco in Puna! Finally! WooHoo!
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

a small but important distinction...

"A distinction without a difference."

There is a very substantial difference:
process server: ~$100 to serve papers to vacate; Sheriff's Officers: >>$1000.
process server: can only present papers and encourage tenant to vacate;
Sheriff's Officers: can enforce eviction and bodily remove tenant and enforce removal of any and all remaining property.

In my case, the process server convinced the tenant that it was in his best interest to vacate voluntarily - which he did. Best $100 I ever spent...

lquade @ 12:37:39-
Exactly, and, that's right.
I would never rent residential property here, ever, ever ever.
Hopefully another idea that will go nowhere. They receive a lot of tax money from these vacation rentals, can't believe they'd throw it away.
And for what?
I will definitely be keeping an eye on this one! While, based on the info provided, we would be grandfathered in, there are a lot of valid reasons to not rent long-term. Plus, this is not the solution to the problem of affordable housing shortages on the BI. Our plan is to move there full time in the future. We are fortunate to have been able to purchase our future home now and the ability to do short-term rentals not only allows us this option, it also means we can still actually use our home when we visit. By the time we make the full-time move, we will have hopefully paid down the house substantially and have a locked in monthly rate at today's prices - thereby keeping it affordable for us in the future on the BI where our earning potential is not as high.

It is not a money-making venture and it is not just some random investment. If it is true that home is where the heart is, this is our home.
From the first story posted up by hotinhawaii, it says that they're only planning to put an end to non hosted, short term rentals in non permitted districts.

I'm in favor of this scheme.

I also strongly support the idea of making it easier for landlords to remove tenants.