Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tool Lending Library
Their model prevents this. You pay a membership fee which goes towards maintenance and they probably just throw it out if it is not repairable. And they have your card on file if you "forget" to return it.
For tools that are clearly broken / unworking that goes without saying.

Some low quality tools are essentially one time use. High quality tools must be painstakingly cared for (especially in a Puna climate) or they can easily become 'one one use' as well.

It's just not a system that inspires confidence. The very nature of loaning (being responsible for temporarily) engenders a lack of confidence in the level of care users may afford such temporary tools. Just look at how many in Puna and Hawaii in general treat shared spaces for an example of what I am talking about.
It's not a "public" library. You have to pay to join and they have your card on file. It's not like a park or an open space. You have to pay to be there and you have to pay if you don't return them. It's like a non-profit version of home depot's rental program however the tools available are only limited by the donations. So you can get a wider range of specialty tools that home depot wouldn't stock.
I wonder what their liability insurance premium is. There are some people I know I wouldn't even loan a screwdriver to, let alone a power tool.
I had a boss long ago that would put a common tool appropriate to the job opening on the desk, and would watch the applicants response to the said tool. If the applicant picked it up wrong, or picked it up and looked at it in wonder, next applicant!

Community begins with Aloha
Tink, I don't need a screwdriver, but I have something stuck in the toaster and need some sharp metal tool to get it out. Every time I try to toast something I get a nasty burnt smell. Some exceptionally long-nosed pliers might do the job just as well I think - the great thing is I can turn on the toaster and there's light in there to see what I'm doing. If that doesn't work I think I'll bring my power-washer inside and give the toaster one hell of a good wash and turn it on again to steam the water away.

Any tips? Seems a good plan to me...
Tom, most toasters can be opened from the bottom for cleaning.
Flip it over and see if there is access!
rj - I wasn't being serious!
Tom- be sure to hold onto the sink faucet for balance while inserting desired tool when removing item so you do not slip and "arc" across heating element to desired tool and ruin both the tool and toaster. Wink

(This comment is meant purely in jest, as electrocution could result. Always disconnect any electrical device before any repairs/maintenance.)

Community begins with Aloha
Thank, Tink, sounds like a great idea. I was planning to do this work on a metal ladder so I could get a higher vantage point to look into the toaster but your suggestion sounds easier. How about I wire up the ladder to the faucet to make sure it's grounded?
wire up the ladder to the faucet

Does not work with "non-metallic water service", you might need to wire it directly to the breaker panel.