Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A boar
I came home one afternoon, last week to find a young 100 pound boar, bristling black and strong as hell, in my fenced in yard, in a fight to the death with my two older dogs. I ended it quick with my rifle but if I hadn't come back right when I did, I'm sure I'd be dealing with vet bills or worse. I paced the perimeter countless times looking for the breach in my fence but there was none to be found. I finally locate tracks seeming to come from nowhere by my back gate and come to the conclusion I had a circus pig on my hands. He climed that gate to get to the trees with nuts on the other side.
L_____________________________1
L_____________________________l

That rudimentary pic gives you an idea of the type of gate. Darn circus pig scaled right up it and dropped through the space at the top. Dogs must have been in the front part of the property when the piggy dropped in. (long shaped lots)
Gave him to the neighbors after the fact. They feasted.
We currently have a family of 5 pigs in our Orchidland neighborhood that have been in residence for about 4 months now. I'm hoping some neighbors are planning Christmas luau's...
"...if you don't have any dogs, pretend to be one. Bark at them. I do it, and it works."

Just be careful doing this on a full moon. Your neighbors might call 911 to report a mental health crisis.

_ _ _ _

From ElysianWort I (found) a young 100 pound boar... in a fight to the death with my two older dogs. I ended it quick with my rifle.

Do you have info on the deal with discharging a rifle? (I don't know the rules).
No hunting allowed in Hawaiian Acres and most subdivisions, but for agricultural purposes such as boar removal from your yard, no problem. I hear gunshots out here on a regular basis. Sometimes the paranoid snooty neighbors will call the cops when another neighbor of mine fires off his various guns just for fun but it's the same every time. The cops come out try to talk to someone and say don't do that, then they leave. They just want to make sure no person is gunshot or dead.
Supposedly, hunting allowed on your own property, but some HPD believe you also need a hunting license.
I had a pig in my yard 18th and Makuu 3 times last week, and now haven't seen her in a week. It was a female, full of milk, so I didn't have the heart to find someone to hunt her down. I am sure there are new piglets with her or nearby. quote]Originally posted by eigoya

Well, I've been in HPP nearly 6 years and I have never seen any pigs. Now, one boar has been visiting 4 of the past five evenings around 5-6. The first night, it went to neighbors avocado tree,but each night it has spent time on our property. I can't figure out what it is eating. Nothing obvious that it is after. Anyone know habits of pigs?
[/quote]
Pigs are a way of life in our neighborhood. As for dogs...
When we moved here we brought both a male and female boxer. While we’d see plenty of pigs off the property and regularly in our small gulch areas, they were infrequent near the house. That is until our male dog passed away. It was like word got out and in the mornings you could see their devastation just feet from the house. They soon determined that the dogs were house dogs at night even coming to within feet of their fenced area. Even getting another male didn’t deter them. Hog wire did. I repaired the damage inside and they roam freely outside. Sometimes they don’t seem phased by me on the tractor as they wander about.

Ninole Resident
Please visit vacation.ninolehawaii.com
Ninole Resident
They are amazingly destructive. Some years back a group of about 15 rampaged over our property near Opihikao. They easily flipped over rocks the size of basketballs.

Probably took about 10 hours work to correct the landscaping damage they caused. Not including loss of plants that died. Had to get more aggressive dogs. That works.
A lot of times they can be transiting thru your property from a feeding area to resting area. My friend lost him German shepherd and Argentine mastiff to pigs on perimeter of property. They got the shepherd and came back for the mastiff about a week later. Most dogs are no match for pigs unless you have multiple dogs.
That's very interesting. Most dogs stand off of the pigs, barking and harrying them. Often this compels the pigs to move on. If a dog tries to grab a piglet certainly an adult will attack. Sounds like your friend's dogs ran into a pretty mean boar.

(But some local guys have hunting dogs trained to engage. Multiple dogs grab the pig; the hunter comes up from behind and stabs the pig with a big knife. Pretty ballsy.)