Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's with Leilani?
These discussions always seem to come around to the performance of the local police. As terracore was told by a cop, there are structural impediments to thorough neighborhood policing. Some of these are operational procedures which are not part of the federal funding requirements. Several cops have told me that union and county administration originated procedures for accident investigations and other non-violent events require way more officers to be dispatched than is necessary. I have heard stories of officers literally tripping over each other at accident sites and of back-up being routinely sent when there was no conceivable need for it. Some conscientious officers see this as a problem and will talk about it, but only privately. There are consequences for those who threaten the status quo.
These discussions always seem to come around to the performance of the local police.

Given that these are mostly "private subdivisions" with "privately owned" roads, I see no reason that the residents can't hire their own private security, answerable to their needs instead of the "impediments" created by unions, Federal funding, etc.

This does mean paying again for something that should already be funded with your tax dollars, but given that people are willing to do that with charter schools (not to mention roads, water, etc), why not spend a few bucks and get the security you deserve?
why not spend a few bucks and get the security you deserve?

Help Wanted: Leilani Police Force. Prefer retired mall cops with uniform, or Blackwater operatives with Middle East experience for enhanced interrogations to locate suspect's cuz and onkal, at whose homes he stashes his loot.

"You all just got a lot richer." Donald Trump, Dec 23, 2017, speaking to friends, donors, and sycophants who could afford the $200,000 yearly membership fee at Mar-a-Lago.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
I guess this is old hat, but with the costs of LED lights coming down fast and the lumins per watt getting far better it's come time to displace the darkness with light.
The cost of the electricity per light makes it time to light up the yard and outside the house. These creeps will avoid light like fire.
Check out the latest at Home Depot or wherever. Don't discount 1.5 LEDs, they now put out a lot of light. and shouldn't hit your Electric cost to hard.
Of course a mussel flash may be enough.[Big Grin]
Good luck.

Oh, and Merry Christmas to all who care anymore......

Don't be an sesquipedalian, Eschew Obfuscation.....

Sometimes, when I see the neighborhood children make small discoveries of their own, I wish I were a child.
With apologies to Dr. Seuss

Don't be an sesquipedalian, Eschew Obfuscation.....

Sometimes, when I see the neighborhood children make small discoveries of their own, I wish I were a child.
With apologies to Dr. Seuss

Had to look it up.

sesquipedalian - Characterized by long words; long-winded. the sesquipedalian prose of scientific journals (Oxford)
quote:
Originally posted by imwithstoopid: time to displace the darkness with light.
Sorry about the smartass remark but: Yeah, lets change the dark to light like it was in the city we came from.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
I'm with you oink. There have to be ways of preventing crime without without taking the stars, the planets, and the Milky Way out of our night sky.

The International Dark-Sky Association works to protect the night skies for present and future generations.
http://www.darksky.org

"You all just got a lot richer." Donald Trump, Dec 23, 2017, speaking to friends, donors, and sycophants who could afford the $200,000 yearly membership fee at Mar-a-Lago.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
I think I understand where you are coming from, but when the amount of crime intersects with "city" levels, one either adapts, they become victims, or they are lucky. Unfortunately, crackhead drugs aren't just "city" problems anymore.

ETA: One can add security lighting without disturbing neighbors or telescopes.
One can add security lighting without disturbing neighbors

One can, but do they?
When I moved here the night was deep black, filled with twinkling stars, shining planets, and the most beautiful Milky Way I have ever seen. And I have lived in some remote places. The night sky was one of the best things about my neighborhood. Since then, one neighbor installed a street light on a pole in his yard which fills an entire wall of my bedroom with light. Another keeps interior lights on all night in the rooms which face my house. A third keeps outdoor lights on which shine in from the other direction. The clear night sky is noticeable dimmer in the direction of their homes. Yes, I could install blinds, but with the dust and the salt spray they would take forever to clean, and I have large windows which provide a view of the sky I would prefer to enjoy in the evening and morning.

Now, it would take very little effort to install caps or a shield on those lights to keep 100% of the direct light on their property, and probably 90% of the indirect light. But none have, and none of them seem to find it a problem. They found a reason to light up their yards, and mine, so they could fix what ain't broke. Even 150 years ago Henry Thoreau observed:

"the black kernel of the night was never profaned by any human neighborhood. I believe that men are generally still a little afraid of the dark, though the witches are all hung, and Christianity and candles have been introduced."
Sadly, we all moved here for the "REMOTNESSES" of it all, very little humans, pristine, clean air, clean water, no trash... No loud music, No lights blinding.... The millions of Dogs Barking, and race bikes/cars with 10 million watt subwoofers bumping the foundations and . Did I mention the drugs, gunshots, police sirens... Where the hell do we move too now?

And we still don't have a friggen costco! If I'm gonna put up with all this BS, might as well have a costco right? I'm still hoping some rich bastard will ask me if I want to buy into his subdivision of 5000 acres, with CCR's that are 30 miles long and prints on 5000 pages. Invites me to by an acre in his gated community....What has it come to?

I'm tired of section 8 people renting next door...
I'm tired of people that can't find a trash can and have no direction to the nearest dump.
I'm tired of people that want 10K dogs and let em bark all day / night long... and don't treat em well, so you gotta hear em cry too all night long.
I'm tired of people that want to buy a new car, while leaving the old one to rot in the yard.
I'm tired of people that want to burn their trash....
I'm tired of people that want chicken/rooster farms...
I'm tired of the Meth house down the street, no doubt, another sec-8 rental that got the water and power turned off.

Do you see the problem I have.... with "PEOPLE?"

Most of all... I'm just sick of all the people with no common sense or respect for anyone else. Next step? Move back to the mainland and buy a roadtrek. At least if you don't like somewhere, just turn the key and see what lies ahead for the next 2-500 miles.