Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electricity
How much a month is propane to run stove and hot water heater

jrw
jrw
Depends on how much you use. If you don't live here yet, you can go to your current electric bill, see your usage in KWh, and then multiply by our local HELCO rate of .36/Khw.

According to a report I got a few months back from Hawaii Energy, average of our neighbors here in HPP is 439 KWh/mo. or $158 avg./mo. We use quite a bit more than that bc we have no solar or propane.

You can sign up with Hawaii Energy if you have a HELCO account. They send you reports about your usage compared to your neighbors. Not sure where you sign up but their page is http://www.hawaiienergy.com
multiply by our local HELCO rate of .36/Khw

The $0.54/KWh rate above is closer to the truth; for "temporary" power it's almost double that.

And appliances that cool:

After "anything that heats" it's really "anything with a motor", especially including the catchment pump.
Was about $400/month for a family of five in a six-bedroom house before we got our solar panels installed; now about $150.
Bills around here average $284,460,000,000.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
$110/month for 2 people, all electric appliances and water heater.
quote:
Originally posted by EightFingers

Bills around here average $284,460,000,000.

Yep, here and in Pennsylvania.
Everything is relative. While the per kWh rate is much higher, my monthly bill is WAY less in Hawaii (usually only 1/4 - 1/3 what it is in Texas where I have to run AC 8-10 months out of the year).
100 to 130 a month is a good average for two adults and a toddler that leaves every frikin light on.. plus laundry for as stated.
I have an on-demand propane water heater and a propane stove. Each is fed from a 20 lb propane cylinder. The stove lasts months on such a cylinder. The water heater lasts 3 to 4 weeks. That's with just me there but I take long showers every day. Filling a completely empty cylinder takes 4.5 gallons at a cost of around $20.