Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Confusion on H-130
FYI, I passed this thread, and the various complaints contained herein, to the HDOT district engineer.
Mahalo Aaron - The Big Islands own 'Roadmaster'!

No problem. I'm always on the lookout for roadway issues on county and state roads -both online and in reality. These issues won't get fixed if they don't know about it.
I was in it, too - people were STOPPING at flashing yellow. So much for Driving 101.

People constantly stop at yield signs even when there's no one for a mile on the other road. THE SIGN LITERALLY SAYS "YIELD", NOT "STOP", THERE'S NO AMBIGUOUS MEANING HERE. Gaahhh...it especially drives me nuts at roundabouts where people will stop even if there's nobody in the entire circle. This is why roundabouts don't work as well here.
it especially drives me nuts at roundabouts where people will stop even if there's nobody in the entire circle.

A friend has a theory about that phenomenon at the Pahoa roundabout. Invisible cars. The people who stop when the roundabout is empty see invisible cars. That makes as much sense as drivers stopping for no reason whatsoever.

"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water.” - President Donald J. Trump
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Kind of makes one think if those that stopped have drivers licenses, as I believe signal light colors and meanings is on the drivers test.
----------
Wal-Mart sold them for years for $3.97 in the sporting goods department.
So, to be absolutely fair, the lights at Shower have been operating normally since Tuesday and so far there seems to be a noticeable improvement. This evening it was raining and usually, you end up with quite a back up on H-130, but the delay was only two or three minutes and the merge was much more civil.

People are also now using both lanes in the Pahoa direction at all hours which is also helping. The only thing I didn't realize before driving the route is that the speed limit between Keaau and Shower is now 45 mph all the way for both directions. Not a big deal and I think most people have realized that since speeds seem to be down, but it might catch some people out who don't look at signs.
A few days ago, the lights were working and we came home from Hill at maybe 5:00 PM. We got into the left turn lane to go down Shower. There wasa pretty lo g line of cars. The problem was the length of time between getting the green arrow till the next time it gives the green arrow. I didn't time it, but it had to be around 12 minutes. Considering there was almost no traffic going in the opposite direction, I find this to be the longest light I've ever seen. If this is the final solution, I'm done turning left off the highway and onto Shower. I will go past Shower and then down on Kaloli.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
I had a similar experience. I would suggest that the left turn signals for turning onto Shower/Pohaku should be flashing red arrows between the green cycles.
When ever at that turn or any red light to green turn and no vehicles behind you - reverse and forward 3 or 4 times over the in pavement pressure switch.The 12 minute cycle will reduce to 30 to 40 seconds .We do this often at the 7-11 and Huina Rd - Hwy 11 intersection and works like a charm .Try it one and all.
Mrs.Mimosa