Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
List of areas with high speed intern
unable to locate a comprehensive list of what areas support these two options

This is by design; the providers don't dare give away "competitive advantage".

I've said before (and am saying again), the best way to check whether service is available is to go out and look at what's hanging on the poles. If the house already has broadband, write it into the offer as a contingency; there are even some real estate agents who understand the Telcom process for changing ownership of an existing broadband installation.

and cannot find ANY addresses with fiber available

Telcom's database is "poorly maintained". Case in point: I can see the fiber on my road, and I've talked to the install techs, who have a map showing that it's available at my location. Yet, when I call to order it, I'm told that it's not actually available. The techs' explanation: if you don't have grid power, your address may not exist, even if you also have other services from Telcom.

DSL is a shared connection over your phone line. FTTP is a dedicated connection

GPON is shared-media like DOCSIS. DSL is private between you and the DSLAM -- but! if that DSLAM doesn't have enough uplink capacity for the number of DSL lines it serves, your experience will suck.

Example: I'm close enough to the DSLAM to get 11mbit DSL; the DSLAM has gigabit fiber as its uplink, and a total of 72 ports, so I get that full 11mbit all day long. (The DSLAM is capable of 500 ports, I have no idea why they don't install more linecards. Similarly, I should be close enough to get 25mbit, but Telcom tends to be very conservative with DSL.)

However, DSL in Seaview is served by a DSLAM with 12mbit of uplink, so it's totally unsable. There were plans to bring fiber to that DSLAM, maybe this problem is solved.

Kapoho, Kalapana, Leilani Estates, and Nanawale Estates

Also Hawaiian Acres, Fern Acres, Eden Roc, Orchidland -- in some cases, better connectivity is available "out in the country" than exists in Hilo town.

quote:
Originally posted by PaulW

If you want any pictures in HPP (I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for, to show cable is available) I can take some for you.

Wow, that's such a generous offer! Photos of utility poles where wires branch off to go to houses are most informative. Here is an annotated example from the limited streetview in HPP: https://imgur.com/wpEWiUU . Basically, photos from avenues makai of 27th would be most beneficial, but anything would be helpful. THANKS in advance.
"the best way to check whether service is available is to go out and look at what's hanging on the poles"

Okay, what do I look for on the poles for (Spectrum) cable? I'm curious which HPP streets have it. I knew someone on 3rd who tried for years to get it.
I think he ended up dying of old age or moving away.
Great, thanks - very clear! I'll probably go have a look around tomorrow. So you know it's down to 27th at least?
Thank you for the detailed response!

quote:
and cannot find ANY addresses with fiber available

Telcom's database is "poorly maintained". Case in point: I can see the fiber on my road, and I've talked to the install techs, who have a map showing that it's available at my location. Yet, when I call to order it, I'm told that it's not actually available. The techs' explanation: if you don't have grid power, your address may not exist, even if you also have other services from Telcom.

I have found addresses with fiber availability on Telcom's site in Eden Roc and Orchidland so far.

quote:
Example: I'm close enough to the DSLAM to get 11mbit DSL; the DSLAM has gigabit fiber as its uplink, and a total of 72 ports, so I get that full 11mbit all day long. (The DSLAM is capable of 500 ports, I have no idea why they don't install more linecards. Similarly, I should be close enough to get 25mbit, but Telcom tends to be very conservative with DSL.)

If you don't mind me asking, what neighborhood are you in? What's the actual upload speed on that 12M DSL?

quote:
However, DSL in Seaview is served by a DSLAM with 12mbit of uplink, so it's totally unsable. There were plans to bring fiber to that DSLAM, maybe this problem is solved.

This is disappointing, but not surprising.

quote:
Kapoho, Kalapana, Leilani Estates, and Nanawale Estates

I called out these areas specifically because Telcom claims availability in their December press release, but I cannot find any actual examples.
what do I look for on the poles for (Spectrum) cable?

I've described these before...

Spectrum: gray rectangular box with heatsink fins; cable on both sides with big round connectors, subscriber taps are also gray, separate from the mid-span amps, F-connectors are pointed down, individual cable lines often have red/blue colored tags that indicate status. Cable is round, black, no visible markings from the ground.

Telcom GPON: round black box, slightly tapered, cables enter large end, which has 8 x stainless studs. Hanging tag, black letters on orange background, starting with FO. Fiber is black with orange stripe, tends to be coiled up nearby; this way they can bring the splice box down to ground level, they have a portable workshop in the back of a van.

Main Telcom GPON splice box at "beginning of subdivision" is tan, a little smaller than a dorm fridge, usually mounted on the side of a pole near ground level.

Telcom copper: rectangular black box, orange/black numbers on the side (not hanging down on a separate tag), subscriber connections hanging out of the box.

Telcom copper: shiny silver cylinder, no markings, no subscriber lines.

Telcom DSL: white cabinet, a little bigger than a dorm fridge, with HELCO meter. ADSL2 has a range of about 3 miles from this cabinet, but it gets faster as you get closer.

Telcom HICAP: white or stainless round dome hanging on side of pole, looks like it should have a cake inside. Sometimes visible "upstream" of the RDSLAM.

Telcom does offer EFM ("ethernet first mile") on DSL or HICAP, it's not cheap, but comes with a real SLA and a block of static IP addresses.
What's the actual upload speed on that 12M DSL?

12/1. Just a matter of time until I get fiber, though.
quote:
Originally posted by PaulW

Great, thanks - very clear! I'll probably go have a look around tomorrow. So you know it's down to 27th at least?

No, 27th is just a guess. I have seen real estate listings indicating "cable ready" at least that far in to HPP, but who knows if they're telling the truth. I suspect, but may be wrong, that if it's available along say 20th and 15th, then it should be available mauka of there as well.
Assume realtors are lying, it saves time.
Fiber is going in to under served areas where copper isn't in and power poles exist