Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recycle, Or SB3099 Will Raise Bottle Depo
How about some more enforcement of the littering laws? Or the dumping laws? I discovered yesterday while on a dump run, a new trash hole!

When you leave the Pahoa Transfer Station and make a left turn, before you make the curve to the right, there is a trail that goes out to where the lava was last coming in. Just inside the little berm (past the 2 concrete barriers) is a burned out truck and heaps of trash. If the County were to send a man out to move the two concrete barriers, then the road would be blocked off.

Who dumps trash less than a 1/4 mile from the Transfer Station???
right now I can fill my car (not truck) with Hi-5 crap, go to dump.. and come back with $75+ of FREE $$ every month... because I pull the Hi-5 crap from my works trash daily (10 minutes/week) and add in my own minimal stuff...
I hope it passes.... that would be double FREE $$ for me monthly... and all you mainland malahini that think its not worth the trouble to do this are the reason why many 'could careless kine' americans have such large eco'footprints'...
lame!

Kapoho.. to answer your Q ... any idiot that forgets the day the dump is open or missed closing time will just toss rubbish out by gate or dump nearby... I hike that firecut raod that paraels the hwy, I dont recall much trash at all more than a hundred feet in if that...

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
I've been trying to find out where Hawaii's recycled bottles and cans go. Are they shipped to the mainland? If so, does it mostly serve to keep our landfills from filling up, or is there a profit made after shipping costs are factored in?

What about cardboard and paper?
Scrap metal?
Non HI-5 glass? (I believe it's crushed and added to asphalt, anything else?)(I saw a yard off Kaloli Dr about 10 years ago with all the low spots filled in with crushed glass. It looked terrible for a year ot two, but now it looks like all the other properties in the neighborhood)

If you want to combine the dual pleasures of insanity and social acceptance, religion is your only choice. - Last Aphorisms
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
I just can't see taking my HI 5 glass to redeem. It is too heavy for me to lug. I've been taking it with regular glass to the glass recycle in Glenwood with my usual throw away stuff. Is there a better solution?

Peace and long life
Peace and long life
Who dumps trash less than a 1/4 mile from the Transfer Station???
--------
Local Pigs. Not tourists.
quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

I've been trying to find out where Hawaii's recycled bottles and cans go. Are they shipped to the mainland? If so, does it mostly serve to keep our landfills from filling up, or is there a profit made after shipping costs are factored in?

They used to be shipped to China, but that may have changed recently-right?

From an energy standpoint, it's questionable whether recycling makes sense here. The waste to energy plants could be a better option.

From an energy standpoint, it's questionable whether recycling makes sense here. The waste to energy plants could be a better option.
--------
Not for recyclables though. Regular garbage - yes. Oahu has a couple plants.

I would agree that sending the recyclables to China is probably a waste, but the alternative is we are on an island and that does save on landfill space.
I recall reading somewhere that all the Hi 5 bottles are dumped into the ocean somewhere way offshore. I suppose that's okay environmentally since it eventually turns back into sand.
It is an interesting question 'where do hawaii's recyclables go' I would assume ships coming from the west bringing goods would then (being empty) haul such cargo back with them. Im half tempted to email KHON and ask them to investigate. They get a mildly interesting story and I get my curiosity satisfied.

Okay Google... Who are these people and why ain't they working?
it's questionable whether recycling makes sense here

Diversion from the landfill makes sense. Local manufacturing based on reclaimed feedstock should make sense, but the economics are warped -- it should not be cheaper to ship recyclables to China.

waste to energy plants could be a better option

Don't forget, County couldn't even open a composting plant -- any location is either "next to someone's house", or "on sacred land", or on "land that you have to lease (thereby inflating the operating cost)".