Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Home Defense Shooting? Or Mistaken Victim?
Agreed. Total click bait. So much more so that it really cannot even BE "discussed" without reams of speculation.
Total click bait... really cannot even BE "discussed"

And yet you have somehow managed 5 posted comments and/or opinions out of the 12 total posts (above).

Portion of Hawaii’s drinking water that comes from underground wells : 9/10
Gallons of raw sewage that leak into the ground from Hawaii cesspools each day : 53,000,000 - Harper's Index
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
This is so fun.
"You have the right to defend yourself from serious bodily injury and imminent harm. The key is the perception of the person under threat," said Breiner.

Under the law, you must retreat before using deadly force, if you can, unless you are at your workplace or home."

"The key is the perception of the person under threat" is really the operative phrase here. Case law has established that in most cases, perception is reality.

There are too few facts in this article to draw a conclusion.
I don't like shooting an unarmed person through the door.

If you can't see through the door, how do you know whether they're armed?

There are too few facts in this article to draw a conclusion.

I believe there are a number of conclusions that can be made from this incident.

1) If perception is legally reality, then it's wrong in two different ways.
A) Perception is clearly not reality for most people
B) Basing a law on an incorrect assumption about the human mind will also be incorrect

2) What occurs on one side of door may not be what it sounds like on the other side of a door.
3) If a decision is made in haste, without all the available information at hand, in some cases it can never be reversed.

Portion of Hawaii’s drinking water that comes from underground wells : 9/10
Gallons of raw sewage that leak into the ground from Hawaii cesspools each day : 53,000,000 - Harper's Index
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
"If you can't see through the door, how do you know whether they're armed?"

Too few facts to draw a conclusion. Most exterior doors installed these days have windows in them.
People with guns are generally not clearheaded individuals, IMHO.
People who generalize tend not be the deepest thinkers in the crowd, YMMV.
"People with guns are generally not clearheaded individuals, IMHO"

Are you referring to the military, or the police?