Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So... If you were going to buy a truck...
I wouldn't buy a property that required a 4x4 to get to unless it was the last 500 feet max. If it takes 45 minutes to drive 15 miles into Hilo, why punish yourself with an additional 30 minute trip to drive X miles to the pavement just to get out of your subdivision? Sounds like a recipe for regret.

All that being said, I scored an $1800 Dodge Dakota 2x on Craigslist about 5 years ago. Still going strong. It was a Puna Unicorn. Great for hauling big loads of mulch with the V6 Magnum engine. But the 1995 year and associated rust isn't going to pass safety inspection forever. Certainly not going to pickup any "babes" with this ugly rusted monster, but fortunately we don't need to worry about that. Sold a Jeep 4WD after I used it to drag a 20' shipping container to where we wanted it. The poor gas mileage, spartan interior, horrid road noise, and high maintenance costs made us regret purchase other than container drag. (Went to green sands beach once in it, but don't think the 4WD was ever required).

Shopping for a good pickup truck here is very difficult but if you have to, don't neglect the Kona market or even the other islands. Or bringing from the madland. Otherwise it takes patience and probably paying over KBB value.
I've had far better luck shipping from the mainland - saved about $10K on a new Toyota buying on the mainland and shipping to Hilo. Currently looking to replace an older VW with a newer something and have been looking at the Hertz sales lots on Oahu and on the mainland and the prices are looking very attractive. (several years ago, I looked at Hertz but ended up buying from a dealer on Oahu and was forever sorry I didn't go with Hertz. They are the ultimate in low pressure sales - the price is the price, no high pressure to buy, no negotiation, and now the prices look not bad at all). I have seen some F150s on the mainland sites - don't know how feasible it would be to have them ship the vehicle - but might be worth a look.
Need to be aware that there are a lot of formerly underwater cars and trucks from the hurricanes in Texas and Florida in the mainland market.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
I'm on my 3rd Mazda/Ford Ranger-type 4x4 truck. I get the ones with extra cab suicide doors. For me it's the perfect mix of enough inside space with a full 4'x6' bed. And not as hard to park as some of the bigger trucks. I'm on my 3rd because I buy them cheap and beat them up on my farm. My driveway is okay without 4x4, but its better on the road and the truck to switch to 4x4, and when I really need to go off road that option is there. I've been stuck one too many times with 2x over the years that 4x4 is definitely a requirement. One advantage to an older truck is that its not as tempting to thieves. (Toyota Tacoma is the most stolen vehicle in Hawaii.) There are also LOTS of these trucks already here so parts and experienced mechanics are easy to find.

That being said, Hawaii is a very limited market for truck availability. Only so many were originally sent here, and most of them get used until they die. There will definitely be more selection on the mainland. Sometimes you will make that up with shipping costs, better selection, and mainland market prices. It all depends on how picky you are and your price point. I know I could have got a better truck for the price on the mainland, but the cost of travel plus time out of work while shopping were not worth it for me to make the trip. I've also heard a few horror stories about delayed shipping and damage en route, so you have to figure that into your equation.
Has anyone taken a mainland bought Yoda to the local dealer for warranty service lately?

there is Toyota 49 states and servco Hawaii (its complicated)

the local dealer turned up their nose and refused a 49 state extended warranty plan ...and indicated non servco vehicles were not in their "system" a few years ago

I'd double check before shipping a "in warranty" vehicle from a non servco retailer ....
The acres is mostly rock, so don't really need 4x4. And if you drive manual, those are even cheaper and easier to maintain. Biggest things for us would be ground clearance for puddles, and nice fat off-road tires.
"All that being said, I scored an $1800 Dodge Dakota 2x on Craigslist about 5 years ago. Still going strong. It was a Puna Unicorn. Great for hauling big loads of mulch with the V6 Magnum engine. But the 1995 year and associated rust isn't going to pass safety inspection forever."

Would you like a free parts truck ?
I have a 94 with new tires,brakes,and transmission.
That's tempting. What's wrong with it?
Thank you all for your comments so far.

The two differing opinions of Randomq and Pander75 are the crux of the issue for me. The purchase & fuel savings on 2x (clearance & fats) driven with caution and possibly a winch for the occasional bog down compared to peace of mind of 4x.

If folks like Randomq are able to drive in areas similar to mine without tearing through vehicles too quickly(?) that might suite my budget and driving style just fine.

However if bringing in heavy loads down rough roads, even slowly, are going to destroy it in the first year or two than better not. Possibly a 2x with beefed up suspension?

I haven't bought the truck yet and have over a year to do so. This discussion is appreciated.

On another note I have read that some people have managed to ship their vehicles loaded with personal items, has anyone been able to do that and if so, how and with which carrier?

You shouldn't be worrying too much about carrying "heavy loads". Most Puna sized projects require yards and yards of material (rock, cinder, mulch etc.). Its usually more economical to hire a trucking company to deliver these kinds of loads. You're just not going to be able to fit much material in a 4 X 6 bed.

Most vehicle shipping companies limit your truck to 1/4 tank of gas and a tire jack. Too many personal items "disappear" or are damaged on the way over. These shippers don't want to have to handle these types of claims.