Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Driving license residency proof
The person at the desk shuffled through a folder full of paperwork and then claimed I needed something additional.

Exact same thing happened to me. I was told that "the rules" had changed since the list of acceptable documents was printed -- this, despite having my passport in hand.

one month after I renewed the state finally started adding the required security star to the drivers license

The "new, improved" license is only required if you want to board a plane (or enter a Federal courthouse, etc) and you don't have any better ID. WIth the current state of paranoia, I always carry a passport when traveling to the mainland, despite being native-born.

"You’re probably not being targeted. When I renewed last year, I went online to check what documentation was required. I called the Pahoa DMV station to confirm. I took all of that info with me, and more for good measure. The person at the desk shuffled through a folder full of paperwork and then claimed I needed something additional"......
------------------------------------------
This was pretty close to my own adventure! I needed to pay my car registration and my Driver's license would be expiring in 1 month, so I thought I'd handle both at one visit.
Although I went on line to verify doc.s required, I was short 1 proving my physical address or mailing address. So, I went home, sorted thru my paperwork and added 2 more doc.s for good measure.

I returned the following week with my filled out application (which luckily I had not dated), along with my stack of legal doc.s that included everything but the shadow of my refrigerator.
As the lady completed inputting my info into her computer, her computer froze. She said , well let's take the picture and eye test. O.K. , I smile for the camera and then I begin the eye test. She tells me to read line 1. All I can see is lighted squares. I say that there is nothing to read. She says read line 2. I say there are no lines to read, just a grid with colors on the left. She says read line 4. "There's nothing there!!!", I say . She tells me she is sorry but now I need certification from an eye Dr......highlights the areas of a yellow card that must be filled out by my Doctor and hands it to me!
I drove immediately to tropic Care at Keaau High and entered "their system" for my free eye exam. By the way, what a wonderful community service! I was there for 4 hours total. No problem with my eyes, but the Doctor I saw was not "licensed to practice in the State of Hawaii", he could not fill out my Certificate of Eye Exam. So back home, on the phone calling for the soonest appt. I could find. The following week, I once again had a complete eye exam. The Doctor filled out my precious yellow card and back home I went. The next day, I once again went to Pahoa DMV only to read the sign that they were closed until further notice (mainframe problem)! The following week, I returned with everything once again. I had a different woman, friendly, helpful. I told her that it was my 4th attempt at renewing my license, told her all that had occurred and handed her my yellow Certificate of Eye Examination which clearly stated "No restrictions".
She efficiently processed my paperwork and I walked out with my temporary. Just yesterday, I received my license in the mail. I must say I was surprised as I was totally expecting it to get lost in the mail!!!
This fiasco added weeks to obtaining my Driver's License renewal. I strongly suggest that people start the process well in advance of license expiration date ......just in case you might have the fun in store for you that I experienced!
I had to get a new birth certificate because "the seal is too worn on it".
This is the same paperwork I used to get Federal clearance to do jobs for NASA and DoD! Good enough for the feds but not the State of Hawaii. Go figure!

Mahalo!
Mahalo!
Kalapana residents can use their Hawaii Star Visitor Sanctuary membership card for proof of residency.
Just had to do this, Tom. I brought birth certif, HELCO bill, Spectrum bill, HPP road bill, and property tax bill. They all had physical address. AND i had to prove change of name, so had to bring certified copy of marriage license. (I THINK HPP road bill has street address; if not, it has TMK and the prop tax bill has both TMK and street address.)

It went super smoothly at Pahoa DMV. (For hubby, too, a couple of months prior.) Got temp license on the spot, got actual license in mail a couple of weeks later. (just in time for a flight to mainland! DMV lady said if I needed to travel and hadn't gotten the permanent license yet, I'd need to bring same documentation to the airport. That seemed odd since I'd traveled with mailing address on my license last fall. So maybe physical address is already needed for travel? I thought it wasn't going to be required until 2020.)

Your new drivers license will have a yellow star on it (seriously? Yup, they chose a yellow star!), and this star makes it a bona fide federal i.d.
DTisme posts,

"(just in time for a flight to mainland! DMV lady said if I needed to travel and hadn't gotten the permanent license yet, I'd need to bring same documentation to the airport."

Whoa! Is a passport no longer acceptable I D for traveling within or in and out of Hawaii?
Reni, I'm sure a passport supercedes any of the other stuff. I don't have one, so maybe that's why she told me that.
"Now I have to go back (and do it all again?) because one month after I renewed the state finally started adding the required security star to the drivers license."

This happened to me too.I renewed last year and because the state was negligent in following directions from Homeland Security and left off the star I have to do it again.Only now I no longer have that mailing address because it no longer exists.

Guess I get to use my passport until I find and new address.
The state has hit a new low in inefficient bureaucratic hoop jumping.

I renewed the registration on our vehicle today and used the deed to our new condo as proof of our address.No problem.
I then handed the young lady my drivers license and asked to have the address changed on it.No Can !!
The registration was good for proof of address put the deed wasn't.
It's not on the list of approved documents.
I now have to wait for an insurance card for my auto insurance to prove that I live in the condo that I hold a deed to.
A deed is not proof of residency. What about all the people who live off-Island who own property here?
If the deed lists the owner’s current address, then it could be considered proof.
Puna: Our roosters crow first