Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Climate Change Over Time
quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

"Let's keep this board "Hawaiian".

OK.
1) I posted a link for an app I found interesting, because it offered a look at past and future weather temperatures. We all love to talk about the weather. I included Hilo as an example since we live here, and it's part of their database.
2) Mangosteen claims it's all a conspiracy, and posts a link that's... all conspiracy.
3) I check the link, and search the page (including comments) for the term "Hawaii" and there's not a single hit. The link is entirely unrelated to Hawaii.
4) Mangosteen then states:
As Rob has said repeatedly, "Let's keep this board "Hawaiian".

I don't know if I'm connecting the dots here, but, I've only started on my second cup of coffee.

At a White House meeting in June, President Trump reportedly told Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe that “I remember Pearl Harbor.”

Your post was nothing but pushing your Climate Change conspiracy theory. Nothing about "Hawaii" except for the fact you could fill in "Hilo" in the blank. You say my link was all "conspiracy" and yours wasn't?

I'd like to see the data on the square yards of asphalt (paved streets) and concrete (sidewalks and buildings) in 1960 vs. 2018. Its called a heat sink. Asphalt and concrete absorbing heat from the year round tropical sun and never completely cooling off. Of course its warmer now. I wasn't here in 1960, but when I arrived in 1975, Hilo was much smaller, and had many fewer paved streets and buildings.

In the years since I arrived, I've seen fire and I've seen rain, drought and wet, cool winters and hot summers, but on a year to year basis, I haven't much in the way of any change in the climate.

And your data may not even be from Hilo. According to the website, it could be Honolulu data, the heat sink capitol of Hawaii.
I was always taught that when you go to a party or Thanksgiving dinner, you don't bring up controversial subjects like politics, or X rated movies. Instead you play it safe and talk about something innocuous, like the weather.

Not on Punaweb.
Here's a leg bone to fight over - - GUY HAGI HAS BEEN WRONG ON OCCASION!

At a White House meeting in June, President Trump reportedly told Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe that “I remember Pearl Harbor.”
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

So we still need 41 days of >90 temps between tomorrow and Dec 31 for the 2018 claim to be accurate.

Methodology

* For each year, the count of days at or above 90 degrees reflects a 21-year rolling average.
* ... your hometown are averaged over an area of approximately 625 km² (240 square miles), and may not match single weather-station records.

240 square miles on an island... I guess this explains your flawed reasoning since Kona and Waikoloa must be included.
Some projections are calling for 2 to 3 times more tropical storms menacing Hawaii a century from now. I wouldn't doubt it, as this year it's been one right after another churning through the east pacific.

Two hurricanes currently in central/east pacific and two more forming off coast of Mexico as we speak. https://www.livescience.com/29358-hawaii...rease.html

Edit: Forgot to mention, I agree with those who think that the 90 degree past and future link is fairly worthless.
Here's another mention of Hawai'i, but not until the very end:
https://www.businessinsider.com/where-to...sts-2018-8
"Methodology

* For each year, the count of days at or above 90 degrees reflects a 21-year rolling average.
* ... your hometown are averaged over an area of approximately 625 km² (240 square miles), and may not match single weather-station records."

So they admit to manipulating climate data. Got it.
Conspiracy.
Flawed reasoning.
Manipulating climate data.

Let’s see what the US Navy with an extensive fleet presence at Pearl Harbor, and not known for a liberal stance or falling for half baked conspiracy theories, thinks about the prospect of climate change, whether it’s real, and if they find it necessary to account for it in their operations and mission preparedness. Here’s a link that discusses the Navy’s plans for the future, including mention of what they expect at their base in Pearl Harbor and other locations:

The Department of Defense is clear-eyed about the challenges climate change poses.

Like many other organizations, the navy cannot afford to treat climate change as a partisan issue. The Department of Defense knows that the mid-century world for which the admirals are now planning is likely to be warmer than today’s, with higher sea levels, new precipitation patterns, and more frequent and severe extreme weather events,

The navy predicts that climate change will lead to more—and more-prolonged—droughts, which in turn will raise the potential for more military interventions.

Especially vulnerable are the navy’s coastal infrastructure and the supply chains that furnish energy and materials to its bases and fleet, all of which are essential to mission readiness. Most of the navy’s land-based assets—shipyards, bases, and other installations—are on seacoasts. These assets were designed and built to be resilient to historic sea levels and storm intensity. But sea levels rose on average nearly half a foot over the 20th century, a rate faster than that in any century since at least 800 BC.

https://hbr.org/2017/07/managing-climate-change

"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Then brand and sell it to anyone who wants do 'buy'

Eta this was suppose d to arrive under terracore
"So they admit to manipulating climate data."

Yeah... no. More like misuse.
In the years since I arrived, I've seen fire and I've seen rain, drought and wet, cool winters and hot summers, but on a year to year basis, I haven't much in the way of any change in the climate.

Not sure what those years are since you have arrived or where you are in Puna but I have definitely seen a change in the climate over the years since 1980.

I wonder what some real long time kamaaina like Mrs. Mimosa has seen?

But anyway, I'm not focusing on temperature but on rainfall. As a kid I remember it used to rain a lot more in the 80s out here in Hawaiian Acres.

http://rainfall.geography.hawaii.edu/rainfall.html