Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gated Community
@glinda - Although I do not want Leilani gated, the difference is that Leilani is now a large cul-de-sac. There is little desire by the county to maintain the main road (Leilani is the only county road in the subdivision).
" There is little desire by the county to maintain the main road (Leilani is the only county road in the subdivision)."

At some point in time they will have to re-open Leilani and Pohoiki and 132 and 137.

There are people with houses in all those areas, the roads have always been rebuilt.

To take back a road that was dedicated to the county after the county had been maintaining it, should require the HOA to repay all of the maintenance costs over the years.
"Interesting topic. Kapaho's privatopia was created on a site, Kapoho Bay, that should have been a park"

Kapoho Bay was lined with fishponds when the subdivision was laid out.There was no place for swimming or ocean access.

The 1960 eruption created Champagne Pond and beach access.

The gate was installed because some "entrepreneurs" in the neighborhood had large amounts of cash at home and were fearful of being ripped off !
gate was installed... "entrepreneurs" in the neighborhood had large amounts of cash at home

If only history books were as interesting as the real events which took place in our past.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Personally, I think the county is leading the BOD on by dangling ownership of LA in front of them.
They have no intention of turning it over to the HOA unless they can sucker them into caretaker status.
When The MEZ was lifted, and FEMA was no longer being wooed for more compensation, they dropped the overtime police presence, and brought in a private security outfit to "police" the access to LE.
Lower costs were undoubtedly the reason.
The BOD has been talking about taking over the cost of maintaining the check point by the security firm in an attempt to keep it in place until a gate can be installed.
Since then the county has extended the check point presence by another month.
I think they are dangling the ownership of LA trying to get the HOA to cover the costs of the check point, to maintain some semblance of control of access to the lava flow area for them.

Many of the owners are doing a great Chicken Little act in their fear of "thundering herds" of looky-loos coming down to see the dead lave flow.
I think it is being greatly exaggerated to much more of a problem than it will end up being, especially in the long term.

The biggest problem I see coming is the number of abandoned homes that will draw squatters.
A gate will not keep then out.
They will have to allow access for foot traffic and bicycles.
It can only control the vehicles trying to come in.

Many owners have been scared off and look as if they won't be coming back.
Time will tell.

The county has never done anything about squatters anywhere that I have ever heard of.
They always say they have no jurisdiction over it whenever anyone in any subdivision has lodged a complaint.
They're completely useless on that subject.

- - - - - - - - - - -
Was a Democrat until gun control became a knee jerk, then a Republican until the crazies took over, back to being a nonpartisan again.
This time, I can no longer participate in the primary.
Personally, I think the county is leading the BOD on by dangling ownership of LA in front of them.

Oh, yes, I'm sure this latest atrocity will finally get people to unite against County.
1voyager1, your posts have been a beacon of light in these troubled days. During the Evacuation, I looked forward to your updates and now I enjoy your insights. Keep it up please!