Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Youth Climate Strike Hawaii
I think we've just seen some examples of why so many intelligent local kids leave the islands for their higher education. There's little future for them here and certainly not much encouragement for them to be proud of their achievements.
I've taught teens for about 27 years. You would be surprised how passionate they can be about this subject, with the majority of info not coming from their teachers. (Many of them read a lot) I for one am glad that they are standing up for something they believe in instead of a fad or the Kardashians.
Nice lesson for yourself in those words Tom. No need to point anything out that is of error or even naively misinformed diba? Lets just let it slide supportatively and it'll all work out island style.
What is "naively misinformed diba"?
Agreed, Rourk. There is a lot of young talent on the island yet many of the so-called adults seem to discourage them from fulfilling their goals. Fortunately, there are now more opportunities for these students, especially with the programs that, for instance, the observatories and the TMT are providing. However, if they aren't encouraged to do so by their elders and parents, the island will remain a dead-end for many kids. Especially if they are insulted and put down for their ideas and achievements.
400 people attended the Hawaii rally yesterday. They thanked state lawmakers for bills already passed which address climate change, and asked they go further:

"While Hawaii's legislature is really great about tackling these issues, we need more. Simply enough, we just need more," Pegram said.
Some state lawmakers agree.
"We have a goal and the goals way out there and it's supposed to make us feel good but where's the action? We know what's going to be coming and we need to really be prepared," Rep. Cynthia Thielen said.

https://www.kitv.com/story/40137341/yout...ate-strike

RWR said above: Nice lesson for yourself in those words... No need to point anything out that is of error or even naively misinformed diba? Lets just let it slide supportatively and it'll all work out island style.

RWR also said recently: you should have told them anyway instead of coming here to bitch about it when they cannot even defend themselves or learn from constuctive criticism. .. You people just don't realize the damage u doing to good folks who want to give they dreams a go.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Without learning from constructive criticism, young intellects will have little chance to get passed the "I know more than you" attitude some of these young folks carry...thicker skin is a positive

my opinion
try harder hotpie, your trying the proverbial square peg in round hole with ur argument. Yet u still bolster my point succinctly.

My post IS constuctive and someone ( parent, peeer or teacher should have pointed some things out to the kids in lieu of cheering on a badly flawed idea.

Sorry kids back to the drawing board. THAT IS ... a REAL WORLD lesson.
quote:
Originally posted by RWR

. In the real world theres winners, loserz and should not have even rans.

Yup, and I'd sure appreciate it if you'd stop polluting this forum with your gibberish.

National Geographic selected this team to advance. Your opinion is ignorant and irrelevant.

poor parenting = poor futures

Say what? Maybe you meant to say...

poor stewardship of the environment = who gives a sh*t about our children's future?