Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hiking Fissure 8
I can assure you that if my land was covered in fresh lava then I would let people hike on it. Please don't tell me what I really think.

Anyway, it seems this is still a hot topic for a lot of people. I withdraw my question and apologize for any offence.
"Even people that still own lots in Royal Garden have expressed their desire not to have people hiking all over their land."

- - -

There's a huge difference between walking through someone's backyard with a home adjacent, or even across a 15 - 20 acre farm, with no structures in evidence, and walking through vast expanses of nature with no homes, no agricultural activities and no evidence of human activity or possession.

But as we know many people here do not like this distinction. Rather amusing to see them try to make the case there is no distinction. Some very muddled thinking going on.

Such as: "Why not post your address on here and let a few come by to hike on your land so we can verify if it's lava filled or not ?"

I would not feel comfortable with taking my friends on a hike onto private property. I just took my friends from California down to Pohoiki and on the way on the new road there are some good stops to take pics up the lava river where the fissures are visible. It was actually quite a site to see. Pohoiki was also an interesting visit as it as dramatically changed.

Stacey
Living the life in Cali and Hawai‘i
Stacey
Living the life in Cali and Hawai‘i
quote:
Originally posted by MarkD

"Even people that still own lots in Royal Garden have expressed their desire not to have people hiking all over their land."

- - -

There's a huge difference between walking through someone's backyard with a home adjacent, or even across a 15 - 20 acre farm, with no structures in evidence, and walking through vast expanses of nature with no homes, no agricultural activities and no evidence of human activity or possession.

But as we know many people here do not like this distinction. Rather amusing to see them try to make the case there is no distinction. Some very muddled thinking going on.

Such as: "Why not post your address on here and let a few come by to hike on your land so we can verify if it's lava filled or not ?"

It's amusing that we have family members ashes and 19 years of our life buried on our property ? It's still our private property.You're as bad as Glinda suggesting that it's some kind of spiritual experience watching your house burn down.

Hey but if you want to hike to my property I can give you the gps coords. It's 1.2 miles from 4 corners and 3 friends hiked out there last month.It took 8 hours round trip and they nearly died.

We live in a tourism driven economy, yet no one wants to make a safe and legal way for tourists to view the lava destruction. Put a "temporary road" over the old one, find a few property owners and neighbors willing to sell, and put on some tours. People want to see lava's destructive power, find a good way to make it happen, or it will happen anyway.
A few days ago I was filling up at the Pahoa water machine as a rental car pulled up and the obviously inebriated driver asked me for directions to "fizzur 8 and the flowing lava". I told him there was no flowing lava and the fissures were all on private land in a neighborhood, He sneered and said - "Oh...so like it's a gated community?" Captive for the moment at the water machine but reaching hard for the humor in life I said - "Yes it is...especially for you". He conferred with his passenger and they peeled out back north on 130. You're welcome
Paul;, I did not state to CALL on the phone, as that information is not public, I stated to contact the owners....(note the plural use of owners)... of course they still may not answer your letter, & most likely will not allow you access, but that is the proper way to gain access... & after studying with a prof. that has access to many properties around Hawaii Island, I can tell you that if you have a good request backed with awesome credentials, you can get access to many private lands here, LEGALLY, by requesting in writing...

It also seems some posters here have no clue that the people who own the land STILL HAVE LIABILITY... no matter how desolate the land is....same as an "abandoned" home... if ANYONE, gets hurt on their land, they probably will have liability issues... (but of course, no one ever considers the high probability of getting hurt while taking newbies on a new shelly/a`a mix lava flow with humoungous rifts...)

At this point, if they want to hike lava, the National Park has miles of trails that you do not need to ask permission & backcountry areas to hike that you do need to ask permission for ( but they have an office for that!) Go enjoy the lands that your taxes have paid for...

And of course, Yet again Paul has proven that the people that have posted on Punaweb wanting access to other lands that are not theirs (including the private road to private home at Haena) are ones that are never willing to allow other people that they do not know to come on to their land (funny how with the Haena lands the excuse was that the one that wanted access had less desirable & valuable land than the landowner, & Pauls excuse is that the land he wants access to is less desirable than Pauls land....... Surprise!Surprise!...

Any time you want to do something on someones else property, that you are not totally positive about, just ask the question about what you would want with your land, your own willingness, or unwillingness is probably the best guide...
The northeastern part of the vent is right on Leilani Road, which is a county road. If you wanted to literally climb down into the crater that's on private land, but you can get right up to it without doing so. You can also go to the upper part of the vent on Makamae St. which technically is a private subdivision road, but I don't know that anybody would object.
Pretty sure there are a quite a few who would object. Leilani has a neighborhood watch person on duty looking out for people trying to park there. If you know anyone from that area then you're probably aware they're all just trying to get back to normal and don't appreciate intruders.
Of course, that’s only where those roads ‘were’. They’re now lava fields with all the various niceties that come along, including cracks, extremely uneven ground, gas emissions, perhaps lava tubes, etc.

I wouldn’t recommend it for any number of those reasons. There’s too many alternative adventures around here.

That being said, you can drive around a bit and see stuff. And there’s lots of footage online that show all kinds of views from during and after the event