Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Illegal Camp Downtown Hilo
I guess if the County has shelter beds, that sounds reasonable. Of course we have the perennial problem of homeless not wanting to go to shelters. Shelters don't allow pot and alcohol to my understanding; we know how this rule works out.

What about the other homeless sleeping in the doorways of the business? The County doesn't want to go after these people, but it's pursuing a setup that at least offers some organized shelter for some homeless.

OK, shut it down; we'll probably see the newly displaced homeless camping in doorways too.
we have the perennial problem of homeless not wanting to go to shelters. Shelters don't allow pot and alcohol to my understanding;

People with jobs pay taxes and follow certain rules and regulations every day with their bosses, coworkers, customers, etc. They (through their taxes) offer a bed, food, and medical all at no cost for the homeless. If a few of those homeless can’t abide by simple rules which, truth be told, benefit other residents in a shelter not the people paying for it, going rogue probably won’t solve their problems either.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
They (through their taxes) offer a bed, food, and medical all at no cost for the homeless.

There's no dignity in accepting a handout. Build a camp where the homeless can earn their keep, let them drink/smoke as long as they don't cause problems for others. Sure, this won't work for 100% of the problem, but it would probably solve a big piece, and for less than we're paying now.
Build a camp where the homeless can earn their keep, let them drink/smoke as long as they don't cause problems for others.

Perhaps a wealthy Libertarian can purchase Kings Landing east of Hilo, build a compound (if he can get permits approved), and provide the homeless with basic work assignments on the property in exchange for food and shelter.

Freedom.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
All homeless camps must be built nea a liquor store first lol

HPP

HPP
Maybe they should allow trailer parks here. This could at least help with high cost of housing situation.
Sorry, Kings Landing is not for sale. Is one of the only truly local, HAWAIAN, lands still in existence . Mahalo
Why not give these poor unfortunate people a ride up Mauna Kea where there is a nice camp with food,water and clean restroom facilities run by compassionate people full of the Aloha spirit ?
To cold obie, to far from store

HPP

HPP
The County now plans to take additional action against the illegal downtown encampment. However there is a "surprising" new development in the story. The camp has a new name in addition to their affiliation with the Hawaiian Kingdom. Will this provide them with the same professional courtesies and legal exemptions as Mauna Kea Access Road protestors who also have erected illegal structures, and interfere with free passage by the public? Stay tuned

The fences around the camp are festooned with signs and banners declaring the camp as part of the Hawaiian Kingdom.

Since the start of the protests against the Thirty Meter Telescope began in mid-July, a sign reading “Saddle House” was placed on the main gate to the camp,

Rose (the lot owner)... stated in April that she intends to restore executive power to the Hawaiian monarchy and that “corporate power” is unlawful on her property, which she claims to be “in the lawful Hawaiian Kingdom.”

https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/201...-hilo-lot/

Also from the article, our own local unsolved mystery:
Residents of the camp generate a lot of noise, Agasa said, from playing loud music to using hammers and power tools for some unclear purpose.