Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Solar Hot Water Variances are all being rejected
I just bought a house in HPP that was finaled in 2017.The permit called for a solar hot water system but it was built with a huge on demand system.
I wrote to the building dept to ask why the variance was allowed in an area with ample sunshine.
So far no reply.
Seems to me the variances were being abused and now they have gone the opposite way.
now they have gone the opposite way

They have to inflict pain in order to create an "emergency" which can be addressed with studies, working groups, listening sessions.

Just like the IECC standards. They had two years to deal with the problem -- but that would require proactive effort, which is unpossible. Now that the regulations have taken effect and are causing pain, they can schedule some learning and research to understand the problem.
The solar hot water heaters are also eligible for state and federal tax credits. I installed mine about 4 years ago and it's been great. I have a propane paloma plumbed in line, in the event the sun isn't out. I use the solar heat at least 75% of the time.

https://sunearthinc.com/latest-news/2018...1st,-2018/

"The solar hot water heaters are also eligible for state and federal tax credits."

Only on an upgrade, new construction doesn't get those.
Bottom line that I can see is that the law clearly states a variance option. They got sued for rubber stamping it. OK, but the law still states a variance option, it's there for a reason, and now they've the swung the pendulum to the exact opposite extreme where they are, and I quote "Not accepting any variances". This is another lawsuit waiting to happen. Why can't they just do the job as outlined? Look at variances, grant them as needed, Pau?

Melissa Fletcher
"Make yurts, not war" Bill Coperthwaite, 1973
They got sued for rubber stamping it. ... now they've the swung the pendulum to the exact opposite extreme

When you put it that way, it sounds like "retaliation".
Having spent my initial college & post-grad engineering years actually working for Underwirters Laboratories, I gotta clear up a few fallacies in the first post:
"UL deals with electric appliances." not true, although they do test and list electric appliances, they are a global independent safety testing lab, and test and list many other things, including fire and wind resistance on building materials, fire penetration ratings, total electric system components (not just appliances), and chemical safety amoung others testing fields (interesting to note, though they no longer do this, in their early years, they were one of the first to safety test airplanes)
"UL Commission" there is no such entity. Underwiters Laboratories LLC is an independent safety testing company, not a "commission"

Everyone here may have a better idea why I am a stickler for facts. If you are not sure about & make up any part of a post, for some, that makes the rest of your post suspect.
It is easy enough to google for the facts!
https://www.ul.org

ETA: If you note, I never stated "approved" & that may be a fallacy in the HI County code that someone may want to pursue. UL tests & lists products.
https://marks.ul.com/about/ul-listing-an...and-rules/
Underwiters Laboratories LLC is an independent safety testing company

Important to note that UL is not itself a government agency, but enjoys indirect power when cited by authorities as a requirement.
There are many well educated municipalities that properly cite "Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory" (NRTL) or the standards that the material must comply with (OSHA, ASTM, etc.)
Obviously, there are those, including Hawai`i County, that do not cite correctly, & which use words that are incorrect, like "approved", something that none of the NRTL certification laboratories do, they list the products that have a certificate that they met or exceeded the testing parameters!
Of course, that could bite these municipalities if someone were to question the code wording.
UL “lists” items that meet the standard on the list. Some might say this would constitute “approval”.

Puna: Our roosters crow first
Puna: Our roosters crow first