Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pohoiki Boat Ramp
Seems to me a whole lot of fishing must have gone on before those ramps existed. Can't (smaller?) boats be launched from the beach? Also, how much money was made out of that port, and would it be cheaper to compensate the fisherman than spend 9 million on something temporary?

I'm no civil engineer, but wouldn't it make more sense to carve a channel out of the new flow instead of trying to keep sand from shifting? Give me a week with a D9, jackhammers, and some concrete guys and lets see what we can do for < $1 million...
You bring way too much logic to the party randomq. This is, again, government doing its thing in support of the brothers, their cousins. Folks that matter to them. Not society as a whole. You scratch my back, or marry my sister, and hey, you want a piss poor boat ramp, fine. And anyone that says otherwise... well you get the picture.

Government here works for the family. Not society as a whole. And, admittedly, they're a pretty backwater kind of family.

Pohoiki, with the current configuration of roads leading to etc, is, imo, the worst place to put a boat ramp. And OMG 8 mil for temp. What a joke. But please, don't laugh. The folks dis side might get riled. And you know what they do if they don't like you...
Government here works for the family. Not society as a whole.

If "the family" paid for everything instead of sticking "society as a whole" with the bill ... no problem.

Hey random,
The ramp has been there for awhile in some form. As a boater ,the east side of this island is one of the worst in the state for weather.

Now ,u can onl launch punalu, south point, hilo.
Lots of people i know made there living out of there, raised kids, paid for there house etc. They need a break some how.
Aloha

HPP

HPP
I'm all for people making a living, just wondering why it's so expensive, redundant work, going to take so long, etc. But then, I guess I already know the answer.
They can spend millions building a new boat ramp for gathering ramp fees, but they can't spend a fraction of that to get people in their homes! Sheesh!!
quote:
Originally posted by dan d

Hey random,
The ramp has been there for awhile in some form. As a boater ,the east side of this island is one of the worst in the state for weather.

Now ,u can onl launch punalu, south point, hilo.
Lots of people i know made there living out of there, raised kids, paid for there house etc. They need a break some how.
Aloha

HPP

bold by me...Access to Pohoiki was relatively easy to get to before the flow...Dragging a boat around to Kaimu then over to Pohoiki and back again, partially over a lava road, is another story.
I say spend the time and initial $9 mil ONCE...

just as easy to obtain permits, drive piling and dredge out from the new location as it would be for in the old...

after the same amount of time the project is 1/3 paid for and well on it way to completion...

Spend the $9 mil on reasonable access - roads - for residents and boat haulers... how u figga ???
Wonder how long it took to make honokohau? Would be a good time frame to know. Guessing
7 yrs +3 for permits, still probably the wrong place.

Judging by how many yards of cinder still moving might be better making one kumakahi side, as the long shore current tends south? Think if they make a channel to old pohoiki
Would need to be dredged twice a year maybe

HPP

HPP