Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's official!
Hi everyone! I'm new to this, thanks to Mella, guess I'm "the other Pam" or Pam 3. Enjoyed the party and thanks for all of the aloha. Mark the sound of roosters is a.k.a. Hawaiian alarm clocks actually become a little soothing. My first couple of trips back to the mainland seemed a little odd w/out that familiar and often cursed racket. On the subject of chickens w/ respect (or rather a severe lack of), is there such a thing as a quiet chicken? You would think a gal raised in Texas would know such pertinent info. Cut me some slack, I was a South Padre Island brat who rode a surfboard rather than a horse. Nothing against coquies, they may be great if your say, deaf. But I don't wanna hear them and wonder if chickens are as noisy as their male counterparts -roosters, er, Hawaiaan alarm clocks. Mahalo and welcome Mark. Pam3

Hi Pam, Great to see you posting away. Thought I'd point you to the site where all the building stuff is. Perhaps you have already found it. A lot of good info and fun! If this link doesn't work go to the all forums folder top left of this page and you will see two forums punaweb forum and building in puna forum.

I don't think the girl chickens holler much, they lay good eggs, and they eat bugs. But the jury is still out on whether or not a person might like to have a few!

As for coqui's can't remember who but a bright fellow on the coqui thread suggested arming neighborhood kids with super soakers filled with lime solution and sending them out on a hunting excursion. Well hey it's better than snipe hunting! LOL One improvement I would make to the super soakers would be to duck tape a small mini mag light onto the barrel, kind of like a scope on a deer rifle!!! LOL So the youngsters could light up the night and target those coqui's.

Hope you're having fun girlfriend! Aloha Mella L

http://www.punaweb.org/Forum/FORUM.asp?FORUM_ID=8&CAT_ID=1&Forum_Title=Building+in+Puna

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
Yes, I am but my husband laughed at the very thought of asking such a silly question. Don't know if you don't ask. Meanwhile I think dinner might be burning....chicken, of course. Later bye

When I lived in Fern Acres we had purebred chickens that we bought. They didn't seem to have that "crow all night" problem. They did crow at sunrise and whenever we came home (we called that the "feed me" call). I wonder if the cross-bred local Hawaiian loose chickens have gotten their "crowing schedule" confused.

John Dirgo, RA, ABR, e-PRO
RE/MAX Properties
808-987-9243 cell
John Dirgo, R, PB, EcoBroker, ABR, e-PRO
Aloha Coast Realty, LLC
808-987-9243 cell
http://www.alohacoastrealty.com
http://www.bigislandvacationrentals.com
http://www.maui-vacation-rentals.com
Got my crate delivered today and spent the day unpacking it. Ended up hiring a tiltbed tow truck for $65(1600 lb crate). I thought that was a pretty square deal. Bay City Towing was the place I used. Our phone was hooked up today. Progress is being made.
Aloha,
Mark

Aloha Mark glad to see you're settling in the family must be getting anxious as well. I was hoping you might elborate on your 1600 lb crate was it something you built or bought or rented and how did you go about getting there. I'm trying to come early and alone and was hoping to bring some things with me, you're crate sounded like just the ticket. appreciate any input.

HADave

Aloha HADave & Mz P

Hawaiian Acres

The best things in life are free.... or have no interest or payments for one full year.

And Mark inquiring minds want to know what was in that crate??? What did you take and what did you and Lisa decide to leave behind. I'm asking because the first of March my sis and cousin are coming to help me sort thru all this stuff. Hopefully they will also take home some of my treasures so I don't have to just donate them!! LOL

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
I built a 4'x8'x4' crate out of OSB, some 1x4's, and some 2x4's on the bottom so it could be picked with a forklift. Then we packed it to the hilt, and were amazed at how much stuff we got in it. My tools are what made it so heavy. We had it shipped through WTX Global. They are based out of somewhere back east, I think Michigan. They are a logistics company that deals with freight world wide, finding spots in containers that need to be filled. We had to drop it at a warehouse in Seattle, and arrange for pick up in Hilo. And I think it cost us about $850 plus insurance(optional). They will ship any size of crate or palletized goods by the cubic meter, + .07 cents per pound. It was the best deal I could find on the internet, not to say that there's not better deals out there, but I thought it was fairly reasonable. It was a great feeling to unpack our stuff, it helps to bring a sense of reality to this adventure. Plus I have all my fishing gear now, and we have great fishing spots just down the road from our house! I think I might just have to head down one of these evenings real soon and wet a line.
Aloha,
Mark

To let you know what was all in the crate since my husband only mentioned a few things. We had a small wooden table,keepsakes,xbox,dvds,cds,tv,dvd player,computer,surfboard,clothes,kitchen stuff,computer desk and lots more stuff. Fit alot really, and a good deal. Aloha Lisa

Coming to Hawaii!! Yeah!
Coming to Hawaii!! Yeah!
And tools...lots and lots of tools...We were considering a container at first, but decided that there was so much of our stuff that we wanted to replace anyway, we went minimal. Fortunately we rented a place that is furnished so we dont have to rush out right away and buy all new stuff, we can take our time, which is good because we have both been doing way too much rushing around for the last month. I can't wait until my family arrives and they get to experience Hawaiian time. Only two more days for them. And it looks like it's going to be down to the wire for me getting the house ready...they just finished up the interior painting last night, and the maintenance guy is taking today off, so I guess I get to shampoo all the carpets, and finish hanging the cabinet doors today... I guess I maybe should have clarified what I meant when I said I would "help" him finish up. But the place is looking pretty nice, and I know my family is going to love it(I hope they do anyway...).
Aloha,
Mark