Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
How will they keep us shut down
"I'm with Sweden"
You might want to check their numbers compared to their neighbors before you do that.
Plan all you want - Ige says no can, because Trump says no can.

https://health.hawaii.gov/news/corona-vi...l-16-2020/

"President Donald Trump has issued guidelines for re-opening the State amid the COVID-19 pandemic. While there were only 11 new positive cases today, and it appears Hawai‘i is flattening the curve, the state currently doesn’t meet the criteria for a phased opening. The guidelines require a downward trajectory of cases for a 14-day period. Gov. Ige said, “We are not there yet, so please continue your hard work and perseverance. We will get through this together.”

I guess Ige didn't get the memo that different areas of a state can be at different Phases of reopening (note is probably in the mail along the the stimulus check for the states (or wait they haven't allocated any money for the state governments - guess we're on our own) ).

Much more at link including "plans" to address the $1.5 billion estimated budget gap.
You all need to get some air, walk da beach, oh I forgot no can!
Hawaii government loves... "having a plan"

And everyone gets a plan.
Investors get handed a plan.
County of Hawaii has another plan.
State of Hawaii draws up their own plan.
State Supreme Court tells us THE plan.
Then all the plans fall apart and some people in tents get a stoplight instead of a plan.

Will this three way intersection to Federal, State, and County recovery be any different?
With a long, slow, slog in store while reopening businesses after the pandemic, we’ll have more plans than you can shake a stick at.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
the state currently doesn’t meet the criteria

Last I checked, all marijuana was illegal under Federal law.
quote:
Originally posted by Punatic007

I'm with Sweden, let the weak stay at home and protect themselves and let the able bodied take personal responsibility for not spreading the virus with voluntary social distancing, masks, testing etc..

The problem with this approach for U.S. is that we have far too many "weak". We're so used to thinking of ourselves as being generally superior that it's easy to forget how physically unhealthy the country is. When you look at the percentages of people who are obese and/or on multiple medications for chronic conditions it's staggering. The freakin' Swedes are healthy as racehorses compared to us and yet they're still sacrificing a lot of lives to covid19 over there.
I favor the German approach. They are planning to open slowly with construction and manufacturing with an eagle eye on new infections. If R naught number goes too high then they know how long they can last before overwhelming their health care system so they can dial things back. Or, up if things are looking OK.
quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

Weren’t we complaining a few weeks ago that ige & Harry Kim didn't shut things down fast enough? That they were exposing us to all manner of COVID-19 carriers on every flight listed under “Arrivals” at the airport?

For sure, that was a thing. Some of the criticism of Kim around here seems to be knee jerk. The guy could send out checks for $1000 bucks just for the hell of it to everyone in Puna and yet people would still find a reason to bitch about it.

Hawaii enjoys relatively good health compared to rest of US, very clean, active air and for the most part plenty of space for social distancing. So, I never thought the situation would get out of hand here. Yes, my hindsight is 20-20. [:p]
So the guy that has repeatedly raised taxes because we're out of money, then immediately spent those taxes on double digit raises for county officials, refused to enforce a supreme court judgement supported by the majority of his constituents, dragged his feet for almost two years on eruption recovery, and was trying to set up social events for seniors in the middle of a virus lockdown... Doesn't deserve our criticism?
quote:
Originally posted by PaulW

"I'm with Sweden"
You might want to check their numbers compared to their neighbors before you do that.

This article is among very few I have seen lately that makes clear the unclarity of all this, as opposed to spinning one way or the other. Sweden is the example, but it could likely be written about many other of the situations...

https://reason.com/2020/04/17/in-sweden-...-long-run/

Cheers,
Kirt

Sweden..

I do not believe the government consciously designed a model for confronting the pandemic but rather they stumbled upon it through a lot of inaction. Their state epidemiologist wrote off the events in China as not being cause for concern. They continued to do so as large groups of Swedes returned from winter vacations in ski resorts throughout Europe that were then encouraged to return to work without any concern for the asymptomatic carriers.

Now some suggest the Swedes are visionary and have all along followed a herd immunity model. This is essentially the same model South Dakota is following, and others are suggesting when they say what's a few percent of the population dying if we can keep businesses afloat.

I guess that works, if you don't mind killing off a chunk of us. Lift the restrictions and let's all start with the lovey dovey get togethers, what's a few percent?

I wonder if Vegas is giving odds on how high the numbers will go in little ol' Sioux Falls?