Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SPAM during this famine?
Mahalo, Rumi, for the guffaws. Spam haiku is almost as good as, well, Spam.[8D]

Aloha! ;-)
Aloha! ;-)
I see both sides of the coin. Greg, like many of the folks here who said they liked the stuff. They also made mention of the fact that they grew up here too.As we all know, Spam is much a part of this culture as Plumeria flower leis are. Spam, also known as "Hawaiian Steak" is obviously unhealthy. I have made an effort not to eat the stuff anymore, and probably have had it less than 3 times since the 70's. Each and every time it was a "Spam Musabi"that did me in too! Seems like as a kid I ate a lot of Spam & Cabbage. Not much money while growing up on Maui in my younger days I guess?

I think it's great that you lost 40 pounds Greg, and that you have embraced a healthy diet too. But not everybody is gonna turn into a "Puffer Fish" either for eating some fat or sugar, or better yet ...both!

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity."

George Carlin
-----------

Support the 'Jack Herer Initiative'NOW!!
quote:
Originally posted by Greg

Quote:
"Why does eating healthy often come at a financial cost and eating unhealthy food comes rather cheaply?"

I know what you're saying Damon. Being somewhat of a cheapskate, I fought the idea of paying healthstore prices for a long time.

My wife finally got me to make a change. I stopped eating processed flour, sugar, and 90% of dairy. (You can have my ice cream when you pull it out of my cold dead hands)

Now I can eat as much as I want, whenever I want. Whole grains, vegetables, salads, honey, fruit, nuts, a little chicken once and awhile.....

In about six months I lost forty pounds and my cholesteral dropped 25 points. (My Doc was trying to get me on Lipitor, now no need)

Spam? no thanks. Without those forty pounds, I'm catching a lot more waves.

are you catching more "stink eye" in the lineup because of that fact Greg? "LOL"

Anyway, my friend sent me this message from John Hopkins yesterday. You, and anybody else will find this interesting read might find it interesting that the Cancer Industry is finally offering options.

THINK EVERYONE WILL FIND THIS VERY INFORMATIVE. I ONLY WISH IT WAS AS EASY TO FOLLOW AS IT IS TO UNDERSTAND.

AFTER YEARS OF TELLING PEOPLE CHEMOTHERAPY IS THE ONLY WAY TO TRY ('TRY', BEING THE KEY WORD) TO ELIMINATE CANCER, JOHNS HOPKINS IS FINALLY STARTING TO TELL YOU THERE IS AN ALTERNATIVE WAY< /st1:Street> .

Cancer Update from Johns Hopkins :

1. Every person has cancer cells in the body. These cancer cells do not show up in the standard tests until they have multiplied to a few billion. When doctors tell cancer patients that there are no more cancer cells in their bodies after treatment, it just means the tests are unable to detect the c ancer cells because they have not reached the detectable size.

2. Cancer cells occur between 6 to more than 10 times in a person's lifetime.

3. When the person's immune system is strong the cancer cells will be destroyed and prevented from multiplying and forming tumors.
4. When a person has cancer it indicates the person has multiple nutritional deficiencies. These could be due to genetic, environmental, food and lifestyle factors.

5. To overcome the multiple nutritional deficiencies, changing diet and including supplements will strengthen the immune system.

6. Chemotherapy involves poisoning the rapidly-growing cancer cells and also destroys rapidly-growing healthy cells in the bone marrow, gastrointestinal tract etc, and can cause organ damage, like liver, kidneys, heart, lungs etc.

7. Radiation while destroying cancer cells also burns, scars and damages healthy cells, tissues and organs.

8. Initial treatment with chemotherapy and ra diation will often reduce tumor size. However prolonged use of chemotherapy and radiation do not result in more tumor destruction.

9. When the body has too much toxic burden from chemotherapy and radiation the immune system is either compromised or destroyed, hence the person can succumb to various kinds of infections and complications.

10. Chemotherapy and radiation can cause cancer cells to mutate and become resistant and difficult to destroy. Surgery can also cause cancer cells to spread to other sites.

11. An effective way to battle cancer is to starve the cancer cells by not feeding it with the foods it needs to multiply.

CANCER CELLS FEED ON:

a. Sugar is a cancer-feeder. By cutting off sugar it cuts off one important food supply to the cancer cells. Sugar substitutes like NutraSweet, Equal, Spoonful, etc. are made with Aspartame and it is harmful. A better natural substitute would be Manuka honey or molasses but only in very small amounts. Table salt has a chemical added to make it white in color. Better alternative is Bragg's aminos or sea salt.

b. Milk causes the body to produce mucus, especially in the gastro-intestinal tract. Cancer feeds on mucus. By cutting off milk and substituting with unsweetened soy milk ca ncer cells are being starved.

c. Cancer cells thrive in an acid environment. A meat-based diet is acidic and it is best to eat fish, and a little chicken rather than beef or pork. Meat also contains livestock antibiotics, growth hormones and parasites, which are all harmful, especially to people with cancer.

d. A diet made of 80% fresh vegetables and juice, whole grains, seeds, nuts and a little fruits help put the body into an alkaline environment. About 20% can be from cooked food including beans. Fresh vegetable juices provide live enzymes that are easily absorbed and reach down to cellular levels within 15 minutes to nourish and enhance growth of healthy cells. To obtain live enzymes for building healthy cells try and drink fresh vegetable juice (most vegetables including bean sprouts) and eat some raw vegetables 2 or 3 times a day. Enzymes are destroyed at temperatures of 104 degrees F (40 degrees C).

e. Avoid coffee, tea, and chocolate, which have high caffeine. Green tea is a better alternative and has cancer fighting properties. Water-best to drink purified water, or filtered, to avoid known tox ins and heavy metals in tap water. Distilled water is acidic, avoid it.

12. Meat protein is difficult to digest and requires a lot of digestive enzymes. Undigested meat remaining in the intestines become putrified and leads to more toxic buildup.

13. Cancer cell walls have a tough protein covering. By refraining from or eating less meat it frees more enzymes to attack the protein walls of cancer cells and allow s the body's killer cells to destroy the cancer cells.

14. Some supplements build up the immune system (IP6, Flor-ssence, Essiac, anti-oxidants, vitamins, minerals, EFAs etc.) to enable the body's own killer cells to destroy cancer cells. Other supplements like vitamin E are known to cause apoptosis, or programmed cell death, the body's normal method of disposing of damaged, unwanted, or unneeded cells.

15. Can cer is a disease of the mind, body, and spirit. A proactive and positive spirit will help the cancer warrior be a survivor. Anger, unforgiveness and bitterness put the body into a stressful and acidic environment. Learn to have a loving and forgiving spirit. Learn to relax and enjoy life.

16. Cancer cells cannot thrive in an oxygenated environment. Exercising daily, and deep breathing help to get more oxygen down to the cellular level. Oxygen therapy is another means employed to destroy cancer cells.

1. No plastic containers in micro.
2. No water bottles in freezer.
3. No plastic wrap in microwave.

Johns Hopkins has recently sent this out in its newsletters. This information is being circulated at Walter Reed Army Medical Center as well. Dioxin chemicals causes cancer, especially breast cancer. Dioxins are highly poisonous to the cells of our bodies. Don't freeze your plastic bottles with water in them as this releases dioxins from the plastic. Recently, Dr. Edward Fujimoto, Wellness Program Manager at Castle Hospital , was on a TV program to explain this health hazard. He talked about dioxins and how bad th ey are for us. He said that we should not be heating our food in the microwave using plastic containers. This especially applies to foods that contain fat. He said that the combination of fat, high heat, and plastics releases dioxin into the food and ultimately into the cells of the body. Instead, he recommends using glass, such as Corning Ware, Pyrex or ceramic containers for heating food. You get the same results, only without the dioxin. So such things as TV dinners, instant ramen and soups, etc., should be removed from the container and heated in something else. Paper isn't bad but you don't know what is in the paper. It's just safer to use tempered glass, Corning Ware, etc. He reminded us that a while ago some of the fast food restaurants moved away from the foam containers to paper. The dioxin problem is one of the reasons.

Also, he pointed out that plastic wrap, such as Saran, is just as dangerous when placed over foods to be cooked in the microwave. As the food is nuked, the high heat causes poisonous toxins to actually melt out of the plastic wrap and drip into the food. Cover food with a paper towel instead.

George Carlin
-----------

quote:
Originally posted by Greg...My wife finally got me to make a change. I stopped eating...90% of dairy. (You can have my ice cream when you pull it out of my cold dead hands)...

Although there was a huge push towards eliminating dairy from our diets, and of course staying out of the sun, both dairy and sun increase vitamin D - here is a link for women: http://www.webmd.com/breast-cancer/news/...ast-cancer and for everyone http://www.slate.com/id/2105560/

So greg, keep eating that ice cream!!

Does Spam have Vitamin D?? ha ha
The "Cancer Update from Johns Hopkins" email is a hoax and not from John Hopkins, but I believe some of the stuff. As always, do your own research when you get one of these emails before sending it on...it will help bolster confidence in those you send info to.

quote:
Originally posted by Nancy Fryhover

The "Cancer Update from Johns Hopkins" email is a hoax and not from John Hopkins, but I believe some of the stuff. As always, do your own research when you get one of these emails before sending it on...it will help bolster confidence in those you send info to.

unfortunately I don't have the time to run a fine tooth comb through every piece of email I get. I'd be at my desk all day, and that's just not me. Anyway, who in their right mind would make a hoax out of such a sensitive topic?
I got that email from a friend two days ago. A friend that was a co-worker with me in Honolulu. So I assumed it was legit. My bad!!

George Carlin
-----------

http://www.snopes.com/

http://www.snopes.com/medical/disease/cancerupdate.asp

The site above is a great place to check on these email forwards before sending them on...

As for healthy foods, try this site for some good info--and maybe inspiration for some foods have as a side with the SPAM [Smile]: http://www.whfoods.com/foodstoc.php

It surprised me that this made the 100 healthiest foods list: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=110 (Soy sauce, Tamari)

Cynthia

Cynthia Hoskins, R(S)
Cell: 808 443-6564

Clark Realty Corporation
99 Aupuni St Hilo, HI
Office: 808 961-6015
Cynthia Hoskins, R(S)
Clark Realty Corporation
www.clarkhawaii.com
The good thing about spam is since is so salty you don't have to add more salt plus it makes it last for a really long time. Long's occasionally has 1 dollar sales for the alternative product Treet- what's the diff. Though I don't how know much longer that going last.

Other people want to make friends- I just want to make money.
James Cramer
quote:
The good thing about spam is since is so salty you don't have to add more salt plus it makes it last for a really long time. Long's occasionally has 1 dollar sales for the alternative product Treet- what's the diff. Though I don't how know much longer that going last.

Not a suitable substitute for good ole Spam! Yum!

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Did a little research of my own...I was surprised to find out that SPAM comes in 13 different varieties, including Low Sodium SPAM, SPAM Lite, Garlic SPAM, Turkey SPAM, and 9 more. Here is a link to their varieties page. It's kind of a fun website. Hormel has embarked on a humorous marketing campaign for SPAM with full knowledge of it's reputation.

Just another thought - not that bologna, salami, chorizo, or hot dogs are health food, but there really isn't much difference between what goes into any processed meat kind of food, other than the basic animal, cow, pig, or turkey, and the spices added. Don't ask questions, just enjoy the fine dining. ;-o

Aloha! ;-)
Aloha! ;-)