Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saturday evening Music
Grocery stores are less densely packed than a bar or concert venue. People aren't allowed to take off their masks, they aren't eating or drinking, etc. At this point, with our low numbers, I would enjoy takeout, an open air restaurant, outdoor activities with friends (masked), or some non-essential shopping at stores that enforce masks.

The Lava Shack is a tiny indoor venue, with people singing, eating, and drinking without masks. One person brings Covid and many will catch it. That will force us to wear these f-ing masks even longer, and hurt more businesses. So it's a stupid idea. Have your concert outdoors. Don't be weak.
Thanks sooooo much to those of you who kept this post about the music. And thanks for your kind comments and taking the time to listen to our music. I should have stated that it was a masked and socially distanced event. We were at the Lava shack several weeks ago and they were really on top of people to wear their masks and social distance. More so than any grocery store or department store. Also, there is an area towards the back that is sort of outdoors.
We recently played a show in Ocean View and lots of folks came out. Everyone kept mostly to their pods and masked up and it was great! No one got sick and all had a fun time, especially after being cooped up for a year now!
As far as the virus goes, yes if you are worried then probably a good idea to stay home. Our country is very close to reaching herd immunity-there was a news article about that recently by a Dr from Johns Hopkins.
Also, did you know....Covid deaths for the state have reached 428, however per the CDC report, 637 people die every year in the state of HI from the flu. Deaths are sad no matter who it is and how it is, but that just gives a bit of perspective that we have not even reached flu numbers yet.
Be smart, wash your hands, build your immunity, and don't lick handrails! Smile Aloha!
Its a colorful life!
I watched the video again. What influenced your music? I see a bit of UK punk in it and reminded of Friday or Saturday nights when I was a university student watching live bands play similar music - obviously not about Aloha Friday though! Again, I would say this is not the kind of music I would listen to normally, but if I was out and about in the pubs this would be wonderful to listen to live.

(03-01-2021, 01:48 PM)leilanidude Wrote: I wouldn't go into a public gathering at this point for anything.
---------
Do you go into a grocery store? I have not heard of any grocery stores getting shut down for 14 days because a worker got Covid. Grocery stores must be especially safe.
Sigh - you can't compare going to a grocery store where everyone distances themselves, wears masks, and are only there for a few minutes to people cramming themselves into a small place for hours with no masks. I don't know if you are being deliberately stupid or if you really believe the stuff you post. Weren't you the one that claimed helicopters are louder a mile off the coast cf. 1500 ft directly above someone because the ocean somehow amplifies sound waves above the surface?
(03-02-2021, 10:19 AM)TomK Wrote: I watched the video again. What influenced your music? I see a bit of UK punk in it and reminded of Friday or Saturday nights when I was a university student watching live bands play similar music - obviously not about Aloha Friday though! Again, I would say this is not the kind of music I would listen to normally, but if I was out and about in the pubs this would be wonderful to listen to live.

(03-01-2021, 01:48 PM)leilanidude Wrote: I wouldn't go into a public gathering at this point for anything.
---------
Do you go into a grocery store? I have not heard of any grocery stores getting shut down for 14 days because a worker got Covid. Grocery stores must be especially safe.
Sigh - you can't compare going to a grocery store where everyone distances themselves, wears masks, and are only there for a few minutes to people cramming themselves into a small place for hours with no masks. I don't know if you are being deliberately stupid or if you really believe the stuff you post. Weren't you the one that claimed helicopters are louder a mile off the coast cf. 1500 ft directly above someone because the ocean somehow amplifies sound waves above the surface?

Obviously, you have no clue. Restaurants/bars, etc. are at half capacity. No one is getting sick on the island. There is no "cramming" of people in small places for hours with no masks. Get your frightened self out into the world.
(03-01-2021, 08:50 PM)dreamoutloud Wrote: Thanks sooooo much to those of you who kept this post about the music. And thanks for your kind comments and taking the time to listen to our music. I should have stated that it was a masked and socially distanced event. We were at the Lava shack several weeks ago and they were really on top of people to wear their masks and social distance. More so than any grocery store or department store. Also, there is an area towards the back that is sort of outdoors.
We recently played a show in Ocean View and lots of folks came out. Everyone kept mostly to their pods and masked up and it was great! No one got sick and all had a fun time, especially after being cooped up for a year now!
As far as the virus goes, yes if you are worried then probably a good idea to stay home. Our country is very close to reaching herd immunity-there was a news article about that recently by a Dr from Johns Hopkins.
Also, did you know....Covid deaths for the state have reached 428, however per the CDC report, 637 people die every year in the state of HI from the flu. Deaths are sad no matter who it is and how it is, but that just gives a bit of perspective that we have not even reached flu numbers yet.
Be smart, wash your hands, build your immunity, and don't lick handrails! Smile Aloha!
TomK, thanks for your feedback and taking the time to watch the video. Erik and Justine were playing more metal before I joined the band, but I know that they had influences such as the Ramones. I came along and had a very poppy punk background-think Blink 182. We met somewhere in the middle of all of that and began writing our own music. Of course, we do covers too and actually are looking for suggestions for our next "Hawaii style" cover.  That's fun that the video reminded you of your university times listening to live bands. I totally respect that this type of music isn't everyone's cup of tea. We do have a lot of fun at our shows though and hope that folks catch the energy.  Cool
Its a colorful life!
"we do covers too and actually are looking for suggestions for our next "Hawaii style" cover"

I always thought "Tiny Bubbles" needed some good punk / metal riffs.
One of my favorite bands from back in the days was The Stranglers. I wonder if you could do a Hawaiian-style version of "Peaches"?

https://youtu.be/Q04y16woPAI

How about one especially for Leilanidude - "Get a Grip on Yourself"?

https://youtu.be/WIX_6EVf7pI
Hey there. Just an update that the lava shack is closed this evening so unfortunately we will not be playing tonight.
Its a colorful life!