Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Residents vs. Tourists
(04-12-2021, 09:06 PM)randomq Wrote: People just seem willfully ignorant. How are you one year into a once-in-100-years pandemic and not be bothered to understand how masks work, how Covid spreads indoors, etc?
---------
Have you bothered to look at the types of "masks" people are wearing and how they are wearing them? Why isn't everyone already dead if one needs to wear a mask to survive?
Have you bothered to look at the types of "masks" people are wearing and how they are wearing them?

Yes.
I believe many of them eventually get designated, “tested positive”.
(04-12-2021, 09:12 PM)leilanidude Wrote:
(04-12-2021, 09:06 PM)randomq Wrote: People just seem willfully ignorant. How are you one year into a once-in-100-years pandemic and not be bothered to understand how masks work, how Covid spreads indoors, etc?
---------
Have you bothered to look at the types of "masks" people are wearing and how they are wearing them? Why isn't everyone already dead if one needs to wear a mask to survive?

I think we have a lot of factors going for us. Geographic isolation, pre-travel testing, warm weather, open-air homes and activities...  Add masks (even poor ones) to that and you limit how far virus spreads. Most masks don't offer the wearer much protection anyway, but they protect other people and stop you from touching your face with contaminated fingers, etc. It's also been shown that smaller initial exposure (thanks to PPE, air flow, etc) leads to less deadly or asymptomatic cases. Finally, Covid's death rate was somewhere around 1%, so "everyone" was not going to die. But if your mother or beloved auntie or immune compromised friend was in that 1%, it's 1% too many. That's why we wear masks.

I do agree that lots of people still wear bad masks (like thin neck gaiters or handkerchiefs) and wear them poorly. They also apparently think you can't catch Covid when eating or drinking, like it's some kind of loophole. I guess the rest of us are protecting them, even if they are not returning the favor.
WTF do those Maui folks think tourists will be doing during their visit, sitting in a hotel room?
Expecting someone to be wearing a mask at the beach is asinine.
Meh, small minded people making a big stink for nothing.
Where are the N95s? We are more than a year into this thing. You'd think the market would be flooded with them by now. It's not rocket science.

I agree that outdoors has minimal risk. But there are lots of places where masks are kind of essential. Why are we still forced to use crappy masks at this stage of the game?
(04-16-2021, 05:33 AM)My 2 cents Wrote: Where are the N95s?  We are more than a year into this thing.  You'd think the market would be flooded with them by now.  It's not rocket science.

I agree that outdoors has minimal risk.  But there are lots of places where masks are kind of essential.  Why are we still forced to use crappy masks at this stage of the game?

I'm guessing the cost to make them is too high and they'll make more money off the cheap medical type masks because people won't spend the extra money to get the better masks.
I bought a box of 20 N95s for my shop a couple of years ago for about 20 bucks.  Even if they would cost double that now....2 bucks each?  People wouldn't spend that?  Most of the masks I see cost more than that.  Here's one:

https://www.anchorout.com/products/im-on-lake-time-oceanscape-standard-face-mask-with-filters?variant=32506297024559&msclkid=26f6a5cbfc1e17fa8dc2c5b2b5e142f6&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=ShopifyV2_Initial-Microsoft-Campaign_113288249391&utm_term=4588193305226161&utm_content=ShopifyImportAdGroup

Only $40.  For one.
Why not buy these ?

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-ply-disp...ugg_q=mask
I bought a 20 pack of similar at Hopaco for $6. I thought it was a good deal but they are the true definition of "disposable". No matter how gentle I am with them the strings come off the mask if I try to reuse them. The glue is just strong enough for a single use.
The Harbor Freight masks hold up fine. Eventually one of the straps will come loose. Most will last for weeks.