Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Volcanic Eruptions Detected With Muons
(11-16-2021, 09:06 AM)TomK Wrote:
(11-15-2021, 06:02 PM)Wao nahele kane Wrote:

Muon beams aren't created by cosmic rays.

No one has mentioned muon beams until now, and no one has said muon beams are created by cosmic rays and it has nothing to do with the current technique of measuring the distribution of magma. No muon beam is needed. HOTPE and I had started to discuss this topic and then you showed up. Thanks for disrupting it.
Tom,

This is a public forum, not your private chatroom, expect others to show up and as long as you're crapping on others, expect it back. And your continued behaviour is more becoming of a child than an adult. Stop pretending as if the mentioned points have no bearing on the discussion.
You were quick to quip others for making false points and after getting a dose of your own medicine, you whine like a child. 
Just an FYI, you're making a greater ass of yourself with every reply on this matter. 

Move on and get over it.

The reason why "cosmic ray" is accompanying muon within the article is because other sources exist for muons, such as lasers creating consistent muon beams. Cosmic ray muon delineates the type of process used for detection within the OP article. 
If someone wrote an article to share a story about the use of x-rays from the sun to do an x-ray of a foot, they would likely call the technique solar x-rays, and within the context of the article, the reader ought to be able to determine the x-ray was not the sun but rather the source of x-ray for the imaging technique. 
Headlines and technical phrases aren't neccesarily meant to stand alone, they are used within the context of an article or a more complete statement, wherein their intended meaning is revealed. 

HOTPE was discussing an eruption detection system for Mauna Loa. That would require an elaborate dependable muon source for real-time detection.
Cosmic ray muons are not adequate for use within a realtime detection system and it takes a great deal of time to aquire a comprehendible map using cosmic ray muons. So again, your comment "...current technique of measuring the distribution of magma. No muon beam is needed." is obsfucating the topic of an eruption detection system as mentioned by HOTPE. Tell me, you don't seriously believe that imaging a magma chamber is as simple and quick as taking a selfie with your cellphone?

I'd recommend departing from your semantics and misnomer games in this thread and elsewhere, you're lacking the necessary comprehension skill-set to pull it off.

The current muon tomography technique takes a great deal of time to generate a single map with respect to a volcanoes magma reservoir.
Here's a more in-depth look at the current process.

https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/1....2018.0050
With respect to naturally derived muons...

"The angular distribution of the atmospheric muon intensity5 is found to be approximately proportional to cos nθ, where θ is the zenith angle and n ≈ 2 [25], with mild dependence of n on energy, latitude, altitude and depth [26]. This strong dependence on the zenith angle implies a large difference in muon rate, and therefore much longer exposure times are needed when observing an object from a horizontal or quasi-horizontal line of sight (which is typically the case when imaging mountains and volcanoes from a distance) with respect to a vertical one. For example, the difference in rate and therefore exposure time between vertical and horizontal orientation was found to be around a factor of eight with the detector geometry of Ref. [27]. In general, this ratio depends on the angular acceptance of the detector, over which the angular distribution of the incoming muons is integrated."

The above is why I have stated that the use of artificially produced muon beams would be beneficial for real-time volcanic eruption detection systems, providing optimal imaging arrangements. 

Citation is from:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar...8320300010
Mahalo Mr. Wao Nahele Kane ( and sufferer : ) for legit info + + +

Much appreciated... Please stay upfront here.
(11-16-2021, 04:40 PM)Wao nahele kane Wrote:
(11-16-2021, 09:06 AM)TomK Wrote:
(11-15-2021, 06:02 PM)Wao nahele kane Wrote:

Muon beams aren't created by cosmic rays.

No one has mentioned muon beams until now, and no one has said muon beams are created by cosmic rays and it has nothing to do with the current technique of measuring the distribution of magma. No muon beam is needed. HOTPE and I had started to discuss this topic and then you showed up. Thanks for disrupting it.

The reason why "cosmic ray" is accompanying muon within the article is because other sources exist for muons, such as lasers creating consistent muon beams. Cosmic ray muon delineates the type of process used for detection within the OP article. 

That's not even English. The muons the article HOTPE is referring to were caused by primary cosmic rays and are considered secondary cosmic rays. The scientists used the fact that we have muon showers, caused by primary cosmic rays, to measure the distribution of magma. No lasers or muon beams needed. You have a habit of sticking words into sentences that don't make sense. "Cosmic ray muon delineates the type of process used for detection within the OP article.". That's meaningless gibberish. They used muons created by cosmic rays hitting atoms in the atmosphere causing muon showers, that's it. It was a very smart experiment using natural processes in our atmosphere to measure something happening underground. It's actually described in the very article you're referring to.

elepaio pid=' dateline=\'1637139908' Wrote:Mahalo Mr. Wao Nahele Kane ( and sufferer :  )  for legit info + + +

Much appreciated... Please stay upfront here.

Oh boy, my kook meter is off the scale. What you just replied to is a deliberately complicated way of saying we experience more muons if they are created above directly above your head rather than elsewhere. You could say the same about the amount of sunlight you get. If the sun is directly above you then you receive more direct light from the sun. If the sun appears elsewhere, for example, it's setting, you receive less sunlight.

Thank god I get to travel for a few weeks and am out of here. The kookiness quotient has gone way out of whack recently.
Is it just me or does Tom remind you of Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory?
(11-17-2021, 06:10 PM)AaronM Wrote: Is it just me or does Tom remind you of Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory?

Bazinga!
Wahine

Lead by example
TomK,

Seems I need to treat you as a student here.

Approximately 10k naturally occuring µ- will strike a m² area per minute laying flat on the ground, approximately 1,250 µ- per minute when the m² area is turned semi perpendicular as would be neccesary for imaging a volcano. This means the exposure time for imagery data collection of a volcano using naturally occuring µ- is considerably long, months. Now that's all fine and dandy when simply wanting to map a magma reservoir within a volcano. The moment one wants to use the technique as an early warning system for eruptions in highly active volcanos such as Kilauea or Mauna Loa, the technique becomes fairly inadiquate due to the neccesary imagery exposure times.

Data collection frames and their shortcomings.
Consider a strobe light as an example. If we were in a dark room with a strobe light set to 1 flash per second and we were tossing balls to one another, what would happen to our ability to predict where and when a ball was thrown to us personally and would we be able to catch the ball that was thown to us or would it likely hit us in the face or body before we were able to predict where to put our hands to catch it?
As we decrease the time between strobe flashes, our predictive/deductive ability to catch a thrown ball begins to increase and we become more successful at catching the ball.
The same applies to using muon tomography when attempting to use it as an early warning system for volcanic eruption.

It's one thing to use cosmic-ray muon tomography for mapping a magma reservoir and very much another to use it as an early warning system for highly active volcanos.

This is why I have stated that using artificially created muons in the form of highly concentrated muon beams would be far more likely capable of being used to produce an early warning system for volcanic eruptions. Using such techniques, several volcanic maps a day could be created, ultimately becoming more effective at becoming an early warning system.

As per your reply, I can only deduce that you didn't understand a damn thing that was being discussed.
Isn’t there a movie called Muana?

Wink
Puna:  Our roosters crow first!
(11-17-2021, 06:10 PM)AaronM Wrote: Is it just me or does Tom remind you of Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory?

More arrogant and not as intelligent.

"The Idgit of the Dome"
(11-18-2021, 05:57 AM)eightfingers2.0 Wrote: Isn’t there a movie called Muana?
Rumba time!
https://youtu.be/x3aqlZsFigo