Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crime in Nanawale/Puna?
A friend of mine rented in Nanawale and his descriptions were very similar to how I would have described NE Portland living there in the 90's.

One of his strangest tales was a single female showing up at his front door asking for somebody who didn't live there, and when they said you have the wrong place, she asked if she could stay there awhile because she had nowhere else to go. He described her as looking "methed out". We agreed that he should have called somebody (I don't know 911 or something) because just because they turned her away wouldn't mean something horrible wasn't going to happen to her somewhere else.

He was always chasing people off the little property that had no reason being there. He said they were "casing the joint", I don't know if that is true but let's face it why else would somebody be on the property? They weren't selling girl scout cookies.

When I lived in NE Portland we had mail delivery through a slot in the front door and when we first moved into the place we would notice the mail slot getting opened and people looking inside through it. I would run to the front door to chase them off and they did run away but I don't know if it deterred them from returning. After we got a Rottweiler that gave them views of aggressive teeth it never happened again. Unfortunately the Rottweiler thought the mail slot was a "chew up whatever comes through it" slot but that is a story for another time.

I have many stories of living there, the area has become gentrified and no longer exists as I experienced it. I'm not sure I would do it again at my age now that I have to worry about insurance deductibles and how long it takes injuries to heal, but it taught me practical security methods at a younger age and also that the crime level in Puna isn't nearly as bad as it is in a lot of the madland.
Totally agree on the securing things aspect of your comment terracore.  Being I was raised in a rough neighborhood I grew up locking the house up, windows, garage, locking car doors/rolling windows up etc.

Later in life I spent 15 years in rural northern Michigan where people left their front doors unlocked, keys in cars etc.  I never could get myself to do those things and was teased for it once in a while.

Now I'm here in Puna and practice the same vigilance I always have.  Been doing it my whole life so just normal to me.  Since I am "programmed" this way I also notice the security of others around me.  I have to say, I think most people around here know petty crime is a problem, but it amazes me how many garage doors I see wide open all day, vehicles unsecure, tools laying out and the like.

My philosophy is if I do just enough to make it an effort for a crook they will most likely just move along to an easier target since there is so much just laying around here for them.  Not right folks should have to secure all of their possessions but unfortunately that's what it is.

I also agree that the amount and level of crime here is lower than where I am from so, I guess I'm not bothered by it as much as say someone from rural norther Michigan would be.
A couple years ago my neighbor reports to me that his Jeep Cherokee was stolen from outside Keaau Ace Hardware. He was quite upset. I asked about the keys. He had left them in the unlocked car!
I'm looking at him dumbfounded and he says, "Never had to worry about car theft 40 years ago". Well partner, times have changed.
Yeah, a neighbor of mine had his nothing fancy old car stolen a month or so ago. Had parked it in front of his house unlocked, windows down, keys on the floor mat. He was embarrassed.
I knew a guy who sold high end security systems and products. Corporations and governments hired him to do comprehensive security audits and provide the solutions.

I asked him what kind of locks he had on his doors, and he replied they were whatever the cheap ones that came with the house. So I asked why he doesn't use the locks he sells, and he replied that he didn't want a broken window.

His philosophy was that he didn't need the best security available, it only had to be better than his neighbors.
Ha ha. Kind of like you don't need to be able to outrun a bear, just whomever you are with.

I had a neighbor that had a car stolen. The thief came into their unlocked house and got the keys out of the kitchen counter drawer just inside the door. While they were home!
The worst part about all this is the part where you cannot shoot them without going to jail yourself according to Hawaii laws.  This is true.  I had this same discussion before with a friend who got ripped off and the officer he talked to confirmed this. 

It wouldn't change my reaction though.  I would still probably shoot the intruder and pay the price.  It'll simply make law abiding citizens more devious when it happens.  No call to 911 after the fact.  Hide the evidence, bury them in lava tubes, run them through a wood chipper etc.  It's a messed up situation.  Just another price we have to pay for living in paradise.
(05-04-2022, 04:45 AM)Or1on Wrote: The worst part about all this is the part where you cannot shoot them without going to jail yourself according to Hawaii laws.  This is true.  I had this same discussion before with a friend who got ripped off and the officer he talked to confirmed this. 

It wouldn't change my reaction though.  I would still probably shoot the intruder and pay the price.  It'll simply make law abiding citizens more devious when it happens.  No call to 911 after the fact.  Hide the evidence, bury them in lava tubes, run them through a wood chipper etc.  It's a messed up situation.  Just another price we have to pay for living in paradise.

This is the Thought Police, put your weapon down and come out with your hands up!
My first home in Hawaii was in HOVE, and after my first break in experience which happened while I was at home I bought an Arma bean bag 'gun' whose less than lethal designation was dubious depending on the area of the body being impacted. Then I moved to lower Puna where I loaded my .410 with rock salt (illegal in HI). Now that Tasers are legal, I have one that shoots darts as well as shocks with direct contact. Every icehead is a badass until he tastes 1400 volts. YMMV. This is not legal advice. There are plenty of proponents of large and noisy dogs but I would feel very guilty if my dog was poisoned or otherwise injured while performing his guarding duties. Cameras only work if they are uploading their motion activated video to the cloud via cell service which depends on your coverage and budget options. I had a neighbor on Pohoiki Road who left everything unlocked because he "was not attached to material objects" and bully for him.
After the eruption here in Leilani, a fair number were scared off out of their homes.
Squatters became a serious problem.
They were coming onto our property and stealing fruit, occasionally other things also.
I installed a series of video cams around the yard, especially  covering the access areas.
No signs of anyone coming onto our property or things missing for quite a while now.
I consider the cams to be the best possible security measure.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Was a Democrat until gun control became a knee jerk, then a Republican until the crazies took over, back to being a nonpartisan again.
This time, I can no longer participate in the primary.