Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
DEEP WATER WELL IN THE MK AQUIFER???
We, the Island of Hawaii, has more fresh water than we could ever use

And coincidentally electricity that could be produced from geothermal, more than we could ever use.
Too bad there's not a way to, oh I don't know, put the water into flexible undersea tubes and the electricity into wires and sell it to Maui and Oahu.  Maybe then if Big Island asked the legislature for infrastructure, or revamping the Hawaiian Homelands process so people could move onto the land they've been promised for a hundred years, state senators, reps, and the governor might listen.  We'd have a big spigot and giant on/off button that could encourage them to take us a little more seriously.
(04-16-2023, 12:00 AM)AaronM Wrote: Following your logic - we think we have lots so let's allow the free market do with it what they will?

Selling public water benefits whom?  Selling public water endangers whom?

I fail to see how testing the vastness of this reservoir is a win for anyone other than some private business.

I'm not a fan of the Waiakea water bottling scheme either btw.

Alaska allows private companies to pump oil out of the ground and it funds their government.  The excess revenues are invested in various financial instruments and the interest is distributed to the residents of the state.  That's a simplistic overview of how the process actually works, but there is no reason why Hawaii's natural resources couldn't be similarly managed if it didn't disappear into the grift and corruption.
Being from that neck of the woods, Alaska's Permanent Fund Dividend is responsible for the unwashed masses who were drawn to the State for the free dough. Less so today than in decades past but Hawaii would become Bum Central if a similar scheme were enacted.

And as for that big IF you mentioned, the palms requiring greasing in Hawaii are so numerous, that the resulting final payment might be so miniscule as to make my previous point moot !

At any rate, I remain skeptical that we have more fresh water than we could ever use.
view-source:https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/2023/04/18/hawaii-news/document-details-plan-for-bottling-plant-in-hilo/

Above article, today in the Tribune-Herald on the subject.

Interesting lines from the article:

"...According to the Hawaiian Kingdom Brands proposal, the well would extract up to 2,100 gallons per minute, with a maximum daily withdrawal of 200,000 gallons per day..."

"...Water studies indicate that the aquifer discharges roughly 21.1 million gallons into the sea daily..."